How to undo the Fix versions

Kazumi Kerr December 4, 2021

Hello,

Is there any way to undo changes made for bulk tasks?

We accidentally updated 'Fix versions' for 200+ tasks and would like to undo the action. 

We could track the changes by looking at email notifications and manually update the Fix version revert back to the original, but I appreciate if there is a better way to proceed this.

Thank you.

2 answers

1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2021

Hi @Kazumi Kerr 

I learned this the hard way that reverting changes can be a big hassle, so what I started doing I always add a new label like "2021-12-05_bulk-change" to those issues (or couple of more labels). If you are doing the bulk change using a script then fetching the change history for recent changes can also work apart from what @Jack Brickey and @Florian PEREZ suggested using JQL.

Ravi

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2021

Yes this! One of my favorite tricks when making bulk changes is labels.

Like Kazumi Kerr likes this
Kazumi Kerr December 5, 2021

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ 

That's good to know to add labels to those bulk changes in case we need to revert back. Thank you for your suggestion!

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2021

It depends on whether you can establish a JQL filter search that resolves in the previous bulk edit. For example, maybe something like this…

Let’s assume that your bulk edit and it was done today. Let’s also assume that no other issues were updated today that have the same fix version. then you could use the following JQL to result in the same list of issues that were previously changed.

project = xxx and updatedDate > startOfDay() and fixVersion = yyy

then you could use bulk edit to change the fix version again. Obviously there’s some underlying assumptions here that I may be missing but hopefully this gives you something to consider.

Florian PEREZ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2021

If you modified the issue you can also add your name in the query to restrict even more the result.

You can check for the time the mistake was done in audit log and add this to the query to.

By doing this you should be able to modify back the value.

There's one big assumption we can add this is you want all the the issue back to the same version witch is a very low probability.

If you want to check all issue one by one you don't have to wait for email, you can also go into the history of the issue to get the old version.

If you know well enough scripting you can try to:

• get the query that fit your previous modifications.
  • Create a script that search last version modification for every issue in history and set back the old version. 

That's being said it's a lot of work and this request has very low chance to be used again, so I wouldn't spend time on this unless it's either a challenge you want to try or an absolute necessity! 

Good luck and I hope this help! 

Like Kazumi Kerr likes this
Kazumi Kerr December 4, 2021

@Jack Brickey & @Florian PEREZ 

Thank you for your suggestions!  We will definitely look into it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events