How to track flagged issues?

Svenja Speen February 26, 2019

It´s cool that you can flag issues to highlight that they are blocked. I would like to track the resolution time on a flag. How do I see when it was created and how long it took to solve it?

3 answers

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2019

Have you looked at Time to resolution gadget available to the dashboard? It doesn’t show you TTR on an individual issue basis but give you a running average.  You can create a filter using “flagged =“ and apply to this gadget.

1 vote
christopher_douglas May 27, 2020

I had to get creative to do something similar.  Here's what I did:

I created an automation rule that sets a custom date field, Date 1, to {{now}} when the flag is added to an issue.  When the flag is removed, it takes the difference between now and the Date 1 field (I chose to just use business days) and adds it to another custom field, Number 1.  The formula used is {{issue.Number 1}} + {{now.diff(issue.Date 1).businessDays}}.  If the issue is flagged again and that flag removed, the Number 1 field will keep a cumulative total of days flagged for the issue.  If you didn't want to keep a cumulative total and only the duration of the last flagged time, the formula could be changed to:  {{now.diff(issue.Date 1).businessDays}}.

Automation rule - flag duration.JPG

Deleted user June 24, 2021

This is awesome....Thank you Sir

Sadly, you would think that something THIS OBVIOUS would actually make it into the work to make Jira itself more useful.

But....no.

We need more "broken" roadmaps.

Dillon Weyer March 15, 2023

@christopher_douglas thanks so much for this, I am getting a negative number for the number of days blocked. Any idea why this might be?

David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2023

This is a good solution @christopher_douglas, but it only solves to calculate the time flagged overall, which is useful, but provides partial information, since the flag feature can happen on any status, you loose that information. Following this approach to identify the time flag on every status, then it will imply to create a custom field per status, which I don't like it too much. Another alternative would be to create a new custom field Days in Flag using a similar syntax as in Days in Status field (available in Jira Cloud for Excel/Google Spreadsheet add-ins). Check this question: Jira Cloud for Google Sheets Add-ons Days in Status field pattern and returned value for duration. Then this information can be extracted and used. It can be populated/updated using Jira Automation, it would be something complex to parse using regular  expressions, but it at the end it is  doable. Then you can use this information for your reports in Excel (via Jira Add-ins). For example to estimate duration on a given status discounting the time the issue was flagged on a given status.

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2019

Hello @Svenja Speen 

This is a unanswered duplicate question

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Return-length-of-time-an-issue-has-been-flagged-for/qaq-p/466753

It's not trivial to calculate the time till resolved on a issue which was once a impediment (flag)

My suggestion to you is to move the flagged issues to a status in workflow like "Blocked" etc and then either you can use Control chart in Jira to see the lead time. Or you can create a scripted field (from Script runner) plugin which calculates the time duration from when the issue  was flagged upto the time it got resolved. 

Dillon Weyer February 21, 2023

That will work, but blocked isn't a status in a workflow. There is value in seeing which actual status the work item is in when its blocked. 

Suggest an answer