How to track Traceability from Cucumber-report Feature file and Scenario to the corresponding story

Mathew June 2, 2018

How to track Traceability from Cucumber-report Feature file and Scenario to the corresponding story and Epic in Jira?
ie from Cucumber-report  Feature file and Scenario how I can track to which Story and Epic this Scenario belongs in Jira?

I'm newly joined to a Jira scrum project, the technologies used in this project are, Cucumber, Jenkins, and Jira Scrim. (Cucumber Automation is done by a separate team).

I'm asked to do the traceability from the Cucumber report to story and Epic.

Thank you in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Alan Parkinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2018

Do you need to show a traceability report as a separate document? or would references to the Stories and Epic's in the Cucumber test results be enough? 

Cucumber allows you to add tags at both the Feature and Scenario level. One technique I've used on a number of regulatory projects is to add the Issue key for the stories as a tag on each scenario it is associated with. These tags are preserved in Cucumber reports and can demonstrate traceability from there.

These tags can be added manually to the scenarios or you can use a Jira App like Behave Pro to manage the scenarios and tags for you.

Disclaimer: I'm a BDD coach of 8 years and the product owner for Behave Pro

priyanka sharma April 27, 2023

Hello @Alan Parkinson

Is there a way I can pick JIRA tag from examples instead from Scenario or Features.

Currently am able to fetch and update from scenario level or feature level.

If I tag at examples, though my run is success but test case execution is not updated.

Suggest an answer