How to to Set Resolution to "Wont Fix" when status is "Done"

Ron Jacob February 1, 2018

Here are 2 scenario I want when I move to Done status

1 Existing : When bug is fixed, both status and resolution is marked as Done

2. Needed: When bug cant be fixed, status changed to Done and resolution is marked as 
"Wont Fix"

FYI- there is already Resolution name "Wont Fix" but I dont how to set this using workflow transition

i have attached Workflow Capture5.PNG

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2018
  1. Create a screen wit the resolution field on it (check the screens in your Jira instance as it might already exist with the name "Resolve issue screen".
  2. Then, get back to your workflow and on the workflow transition that sets the status to Done, add the "resolve issue screen".
  3. On that same transition, add a validator to check for required fields. Make sure to set "Resolution" as a required field.
  4. Check the Post functions of the same transition. If there is a post function setting the resolution to Done automatically, remove it.
  5. Publish your modified workflow

Now, when you are changing the status of an issue to Done, the Resolve issue screen will pop up and ask you to select a resolution. You will not be able to complete the transition without choosing a resolution. The selected resolution will be saved with your issue.

Oh, and one last tip. In a workflow like the one above, you will want to add another post function to your To do and In progress transitions that removes the resolution again. Otherwise you will end up with issues in open states that have a resolution set. And that would be inconsistent.

Jonathan Landrum October 10, 2019

This is the answer that worked for me

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2018

Your workflow does not support setting it automatically.

So, looking at the arrow into "Done", edit that, and look for the property "screen".  You need to add a screen to it, one that contains the resolution field so that the user can set the appropriate value.

If you want to do it automatically, then you will need to have two transitions into "done", one with a label like "fixed" and the other "won't fix".  You can then not bother with screens for either of them, but add a "post function" called "update field" to set the resolution appropriately on both.

Finally, check that the "update field" post-function is set to clear the resolution on the transitions into To Do and In Progress

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2018

Sometimes would be quite practical to have some kind of 'concurrent editing' indication of some sort :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2018

The previous "Answers" platform could have had it, as it was based on, um, Confluence...

1 vote
Ofir January 29, 2020

Another way might be to add another status "Rejected" (or different appropriate name) with "won't fix" automatic resolution. This way both statuses "Done" and "Rejected" will have automatic resolution and because "Done" is the most used status, it will not be needed each time to select the resolution screen

Suggest an answer