How to time track all tasks in JIRA?

Lukasz April 26, 2023

I would like to keep time tracking of all issues added to JIRA board. 

We have time tracking enabled but I couldn't find any widgets in the Dashboard panel to calculate total time spent or time spent on task/epic.

How to do it?

5 answers

3 votes
Iryna Komarnitska_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2023

Hey @Lukasz ,

I recommend an app that my team has developed - Cost Tracker for Jira Cloud.

In addition to powerful time and cost reports, it has an issue widget where you can view the total amount of time logged to a task and its cost. The cost is formed based on the hourly rates of the authors of the logged time.

Also, you can generate Time Reports for your needs in the app.

There is a 30-day trial period to get to know the add-on better.

12.png

1 vote
Gale Petrowski April 26, 2023

Can this app be used against a budgeted amount of time to track hours against?  Can this app be accessed by a group of users only, and not provided to all Jira users?  If so, please explain.

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2023

Hi @Gale Petrowski 

We are currently in the process of implementing the Remaining Budget option.

But even now, you can easily track costs for projects, etc.

And yes, the Manage Access option allows you to restrict the view for users in Jira. The information about costs and expenditures is sensitive and not intended for everyone, so you can choose who has the right to view and edit it.

If you are interested in the app, try it out, and if you have any questions, you can write to our support team or book a demo.

2023-04-26_19-30-28.png

Like # people like this
Marketplace Partner
May 22, 2023

Hi @Gale Petrowski ,

I want to inform you that my team finally released Planned Time and Planned Budget features in Cost Tracker for Jira Cloud.

0 votes
Ekaterina Garbuzova May 20, 2023

Hey @Lukasz !

There are dozens of app for time tracking on Atlassian marketplace. I would definetely recommend Planyway for Jira. It's cheap and effective, or you can even try our everything for free.

It's a killer team planner, calendar, with resource planning options, time tracking right inside Jira issues, to plan workload in a few clicks.

• Dragging Jira issues from the board to the time tracking calendar
  • Build custom reports to get powerful insights
  • Export all your time entries as a CSV or Excel file if needed
0 votes
Nataliya Vasyliv_Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
May 18, 2023

Hi @Lukasz 

As previously said that Jira has limited options for time tracking I could also recommend ActivityTimeline. You can track time in Timesheets on a Dashboard.

Dashboard:

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 10.49.44@2x.png

Timesheets:

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 10.51.01@2x.png

If you have any additional requirements please feel free to ask me. We can provide a demo session for you if needed.
Best, Nataliya, ActivityTimeline Team

0 votes
Wojciech Wardaszko _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2023

@Lukasz

I think it's a consensus that Jira's built-in time tracking is quite limited and for many use cases it is not good enough. 

If you're okay with using a third-party app and using a timesheet view instead of a dashboard gadget, I think either Clockwork Free or Pro (both made by my team) could be the perfect solution for you.

Both versions allow for automatic and manual timers (so start timer ... stop timer => work logged) and for easy creation of very versatile timesheets - you just set up your filters and breakdown options et voilà! A beautiful, easily readable timesheet:

timesheet with Epics breakdown.pngI think this solution perfectly matches the presented problem.

If you have any questions about Clockwork, feel free to ask here or reach out to us via our service portal.

Cheers!

Lukasz April 27, 2023

@Wojciech Wardaszko _HeroCoders_ Thanks, it looks this what we are after. 

I deploy this to our project and see how it goes. Thanks a lot!

Wojciech Wardaszko _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2023

Awesome!

If you need to discuss something or have any questions, you can always reach out to us directly from all app screens using that purple icon in the bottom-right corner - it's a chat widget.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events