How to sync database with Jira

David Pleşu April 10, 2023

Hi,

I want to manage the lists from jira - values of custom fields, users, groups, all the lists in a database - MySQL for example, and i want to know if there is a possibility to sync the databse with the jira cloud, maybe with some coding - Rest API, or something like this.

Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023

Hi @David Pleşu ,

Yes, you can sync Jira information with databases.  For this you can use the REST API: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/intro/ .  This requires programming.

David Pleşu April 10, 2023

Thank you 

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

Hi @David Pleşu

instead of synchronizing all the values, you could also simply reference data from an SQL database. There are apps in the marketplace which can handle this use case. I've used Elements Connect in the past for it with success, but you should probably judge yourself if you want to go that way.

Cheers,
Matthias.

David Pleşu April 11, 2023

In my jira instance are 200+ users, it will cost around 1700 per year. I don't know if i can to restrict this app only for my use. Maybe you know if it's possible ?

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

All the marketplace apps are always licensed based on the number of users of the whole instance. There's no way around it unless the apps would implement another licensing mechanism.

You can check the marketplace if there are some cheaper alternatives - or still script your own solution. If you only have a couple of fields, scripting might be wort it. If it's too much, I think such an app comes handy since you don't need to maintain a script by yourself.

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

Thanks for the mention @Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ 

@David Pleşu Atlassian app pricing does not allow you to limit app availability or usage to only some of your users, and the pricing is necessarily based on the number of users in your instance.

While you may not have planned a budget to meet this need, the customization and time saved from a quality app that meets your needs should be a good investment in the long run.

And to answer your question about getting data from a MySQL database, Elements Connect lets you connect to the following versions 

You'll find details of the information you need to prepare in advance to query your database on the documentation.

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this
David Pleşu April 11, 2023

Thank you!

Suggest an answer