How to sum Custom fields using Automation in Jira

KrishnaP October 13, 2020

I have 2 custom fields .NET Effort(Hours) and Java Effort(Hours)

Whenever value changes in Java Effort(Hours) OR .NET Effort(Hours), I want Original Estimate field in Jira to display sum of these 2 fields

I have tried {issue.Java Effort(Hours)}+{issue. .NET Effort(Hours)} 

as shown below but, upon changing either Java Effort(Hours) OR .NET Effort(Hours), Original Estimate does still not show anything and it still displays as 0m

Please let me know, what have I missed. Thanks in advance

Jira_Automation.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2020

I think you are almost there, try this :

{{#=}}{issue.Java Effort(Hours)}+{issue. .NET Effort(Hours)} {{/}}

Thank you Flavien for your feedback

Somehow I am still not able to get it working. Please let me know if I am missing anything here

Jira_Automation.png

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2020

Could you change the values of these two fields for one of your ticket and share with us the log of your automation rule please ?

It could help me understand the issue.

I did change value in the Java Effort and .NET effort fields. However, there was no change to the Original Estimate field.

Below error is displayed in the Audit log

Jira_Automation.png

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2020

Ok try to copy paste this, i think there was a small syntax problem :

{{#=}}{{issue.Java Effort(Hours)}}+{{issue. .NET Effort(Hours)}}{{/}}

Like # people like this

I think, its working now for Java Effort(Hours). Thank you so much.

But, it still throws error for .NET Effort(Hours). I think, there is some syntax issue due to . in ".NET Effort(Hours)".

Jira_Automation.png

For Java Effort(Hours),

Every time I make a change for Java Effort(Hours), Original Estimate displays previous value plus the current Value. I want the Original field to always use only the current value

Example: If Original Estimate is already 6 and now I change the "Java Effort(Hours)" to 4, I expect the Original Estimate to be 4.

But, it displays 10

How can I get this corrected. Please let me know

Flavien, 

For now I have removed . from .NET and all looks good. Even summing is happening from Actuals

Thanks a lot for the help

I want to learn more on Automation in Jira

Can you please direct me to a source from where I can read

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2020

Krishna,

thanks for your answer. I am happy to see your automation work as expected. The automation rule you created indeed does the following if i understood correctly :

If the value of Qa efforts, Sit efforts, Java efforts, .net efforts... changes then :

Original estimate = Java Efforts 

That's why it works for you when you remove .Net Efforts.

You can give a look here if you want to improve you Automation mastery. But the best way is to try on test instances. Try some examples, go to the logs and make mistakes : automation is not easy to handle ;)

Could you please accept my answer ? It would be great for people who may have the same question on automation for Jira ;)

0 votes
Parag Madpuwar December 3, 2020

Is this possible to do in Jira Server Version [example : we have 7.10] and i am looking for exact same implementation solution where we have different estimate fields for different teams and wanted to sumup and display in original estimate.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events