How to sort issues in kanban board by projects?

Robin Bendfeldt April 22, 2021

Hi community,

in my company we have different projects/products and one development team. We plan one sprint with issues from different projects. We have a project to manage to get a overview for all projects to plan one sprint inside of it.

How can I apply a quick filter to the kanban board that sorts the issues by project and not by type of the issue? Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-23 um 08.46.04.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2021

@Robin Bendfeldt There are a couple of things you can do. Go to the board, then Board settings (3 dots in the top right)

Option 1: Click on Quick Filters in the left menu, and you can create a JQL statement per project. E.g. project = ABC. You will need to do this for every project that may be represented on the board's issues.

When you're back on the board, by clicking on one of these quick filters, you will hide all other tasks which don't match the entered JQL.

Option 2: Click on Swimlanes on the left menu, then in the "Base swimlanes on" dropdown, select 'projects'. This will still show all issues on the board and won't hide any, but it will split the projects into horizonal grouped sections.

I would recommend Option 2 (Swimlanes), as there is less maintenance going forward - e.g. if a new project if referenced on the board, you would need to create a new quick filter, but you would not need to create another swimlane if you were using project-filtered swimlanes

Robin Bendfeldt April 23, 2021

@Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ Option 2 worked for me. Thank you! Its exactly what I was looking for. 

@Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ After my Team and I did the refinemant on the Issues they will go to the backlog. Then I creat a new sprint in our overview project. In this sprint are different issues from all projects we have. Is it possible to sort the backlog by project too? 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-23 um 11.24.17.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2021

@Robin Bendfeldt Not quite in the same way - on the backlog you can use Versions, Epics (both on the left) and Quick Filters to filter the tasks, but swimlanes are only available on the board, not the backlog.

So if you wanted to filter these tasks on the backlog, you could either have an Epic, Version of Quick filter for each project

Like Robin Bendfeldt likes this

@Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ Thank you again! I decided to go with the option to use Quick Filters for each project. Works totally fine. Thank you for your quick and amazing help. You saved me hours. Wish you a nice weekend and stay healthy.

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2021

My pleasure! Thank you Robin, same to you :)

Like Robin Bendfeldt likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events