How to solve a workflow by starting another workflow?

Sascha Ziemann July 17, 2019

We have an incident workflow. Sometimes the solution for the incident is a return delivery. But the return delivery is another workflow. How can I solve the incident workflow by starting and linking a return delivery workflow?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2019

Issues do not just jump between workflows, a workflow is assigned to an issue type, and all issues of that type (in the project) follow that workflow.

If you want to "start another workflow", you would have to change the issue type so that the issue jumps into another one, but changing an issue type is not a trivial move, because issue type is structural and most of the configuration hangs off it.  There are ways you could automate that but they are very very non-trivial, require code, and can be brittle (the slightest change to a setup can break them)

So, the best way to "trigger another workflow" is to create a new issue, push that through the new workflow, and then feed back to the original issue as needed.  The new issue could be a different type at the same level as the original (in which case, I would strongly recommend linking the new issue back to the original) or a sub-task of it.

This is going to require some coding, and quite a lot of flexibility, so I would recommend looking at the scripting and automation apps in the marketplace, not the more "toolbox" like ones that just give you fixed workflow functions.

Sascha Ziemann July 29, 2019

I have two issue types and workflows: 1.) incident 2.) return

Sometimes a "incident" ends in a "return", when no other solution could be found.

So I need to define a task in the "incident" workflow, which starts a "return" workflow. Ideally the "incident" workflow also ends, when the "return" workflow starts.

As a workaround I can create a monster workflow, which is a union of the "incident" workflow and the "return" workflow. But I do not like this idea.

So the answer is still open: how can a task or a solution create a new issue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2019

As I said, you will need to do some coding to create new issues.

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2019

Dear @Sascha Ziemann ,

there are commercial plugins available, that offer additional features for workflows. Have a look at https://marketplace.atlassian.com and make use of the evaluation licenses each vendor offers.

I will not recommend any, to avoid promoting the product of a specific vendor.

So long

Thomas

Sascha Ziemann July 17, 2019

Feel free to recommand all add ons, which will help me.

Suggest an answer