How to show child tickets on kanban board, next gen project?

Patrick Walters
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 13, 2020

We have our kanban board for a next gen project and have added child tickets but they do not show up in the board, only as an icon on the parent ticket.  Ideally we want to keep this hierarchy of tickets that lead back up to an epic but show them all so we can get a better view of what is going on.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2020

Hello @Patrick Walters 

Welcome to the community.

Referring to this post 

How can I display subtasks on a next-gen kanban board?

for the answer provided by Angelica Luz:

"On next-gen boards, currently, it's not possible to show sub-tasks. There is an option to group by sub-tasks, so it will show on the board, but show with other issue types, it's not available.

There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of such ability:

Patrick Walters
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 13, 2020

FWIW I did read that I just thought that sub-tasks and child tickets were different which is why I opened this.  Thanks for the info!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2020

"child" is a generic name in this case.

The general issue hierarchy is

Epic - Story - Sub-task

Story is a child to an Epic. Sub-task is a child to a Story.

You can have several different types of issues at the Story level, designated as different issue types; Story, Task, Bug, etc.

It is issues at that level that will show on the board in a next gen project.

GEON
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 7, 2020

incredibly frustrating.

Like # people like this
Andrew Murdoch October 12, 2021

... Why?! 

I should be able to work with a subtask / child task without involving the parent.  Sub / child tasks should show up like any normal task, and being it's Oct 12th 2021 and this isn't the case, when will it be implemented?

You had time to break the notification area, so I guess that was more important?

Like # people like this
12 votes
ethan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 22, 2021

Come on Atlassian. You are KILLING us with the next gen problems. Hire some devs and get these features fixed. 

Ahmad S. Salama
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 15, 2021

They literally need to incorporate some of what they're supposed to be offering in their workflow to get their sh*t together lol

Like Andrew Murdoch likes this
Andrew Murdoch October 12, 2021

100%, this is BS, and creates a broken experience.

They're just banking companies setup, and it would be too much work to change.  In case, this is linked from a search engine

DO NOT START A NEXT GEN PROJECT

Like Olatide Omojaro likes this
4 votes
Sandro Baumann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 13, 2022

It's 2022 and this is yet now available, seems that the next gen is more like a why to use gen. It's frustrating to think that I will need to use the old gen to get such basic functionalities. Filtering by subtasks makes the board so confusing to look at and keep track of priorities to discuss in a daily.

Scott Wiltshire May 17, 2023

If it's available where do I find it?
I have a team managed board and the only way to see child issues in in the issues view or advanced search. Child issues aren't visible in the board or backlog. Which is frustrating and makes child issues unusable.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2023

@Scott Wiltshire 

I think @Sandro Baumann meant it is "not" available, not "now available".

For a Team Managed board, currently subtasks will not show as cards on the board unless you use the Group By Subtasks option. Otherwise on their parent story you will just see the icon to indicate there are subtasks. And only the icon will show in the Backlog; there is no option for showing Subtasks as cards in the backlog.

3 votes
Jacobo Sanchez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 12, 2021

WTF I don't understand how something this basic and useful is not implemented yet...

1 vote
Larry Haustein July 6, 2021

I'm  sitting here trying to figure out why I can't see the child items assigned to me.  Is this why?  What the hek????  If so, that's bad....   

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

@Larry Haustein 

We can't really say if this is the explanation for your issue without more information. Perhaps you could start a new post and provide the details, like

1. Are you using a Team Managed or a Company Managed project?

2. Are you working with a Work Management, Software, or Service Management project?

3. Provide a full screen image of what you see.

Azure managed profile.

Work management

I have many child items assigned to me that aren't showing.  It only shows the stories.

Thanks

image.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

That is Microsoft's Azure DevOps. This community is for the Atlassian Jira product.

This post is not relevant to the product you are using.

It's Jira in general and on the backend, given that it is relevant.  Others are having the same issue.   Microsofts Azure DevOps is Jira, maybe you didn't know this.?
Lets hear how you accomplish this in your 'regular' Atlassian Jira.....................

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

Microsoft Azure DevOps is not Jira. They are two different products from two different vendors. I know, because we use both at my company.

They are two very different methods of organizing and managing the data. While they can both be used for tracking "work", how they do that, the features they offer, the terminology they use, and how you configure the features are entirely different.

This post is talking specifically about how Team Managed projects in Jira present information on their agile boards. In Jira it makes a huge difference if you are using what Atlassian calls a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project. In Jira, there currently is no solution for this issue when using a Team Managed project. The solution if a Company Managed project is in use would be of no use to you because you would be unable to use the same steps to implement the solution in Azure DevOps, as the configuration options are entirely different.

I know what you meant already.  

Once again, just tell me how you do it in your 'normal' Jira and I'm sure that will work in mine.  

Unless it's a problem in normal Jira as well.   Which it sounds like it is from this post.

Thanks,

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

In Jira there are two overarching "project" management methodologies.

Company Managed projects follow the methodology Atlassian originally developed. It is predicated on the idea of being able to share configuration information between projects.

On top of that, Atlassian added an Agile feature set, which enables the use of Kanban and Scrum boards to visualize and manipulate the data in projects. These boards are based on query filters that select the items that will be displayed in the board view, shown as "cards" organized in columns that represent the life cycle of the item. Jira offers a query language so that you can define if you want to include all types of items from a single project, items from multiple projects, or a subset of items based on a variety of critera.

Atlassian later developed another "project" management methodology that they call Team Managed projects. This is predicated on the concept of autonomous teams that are not going to share configuration information across projects. Atlassian provides agile features that go along with these types of projects also, but the features are different than what is available for the Company Managed project. For instance, for Team Managed projects the board is created automatically and can encompass the data only of the one project, and there is no support for modifying the underlying query for that board.

The configuration options for the agile boards associated with these types of projects are different. Not all features available for agile boards associated with Company Managed projects are available for Team Managed projects and vice versa.

In Jira, the problem of showing parent and child items, specifically Stories and their child Sub-tasks, on the board at the same time has no solution for a Team Managed project.

In a Company Managed project, the problem does not exist. The agile board display already shows both Story and child Sub-tasks on the board as long as the board's underlying query filter includes both.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 3.35.17 PM.png

Like # people like this
elizabeth.lavely July 26, 2022

Hi there, just wanted to check in that the statement

"In Jira, the problem of showing parent and child items, specifically Stories and their child Sub-tasks, on the board at the same time has no solution for a Team Managed project."

is still true?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2022

@elizabeth.lavely 

It is still true that you cannot show both as cards on the Team Managed board at the same time. Refer to the image below...

1. You can change the Group By setting to Subtasks and 

2. That will show a swimlane for each parent issue that has Subtasks with

3. The Subtasks shown as cards below in that swimlane.

And for parent issues that have no Subtasks those will show as cards in the Everything Else swimlane.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 8.48.41 AM.png

If you use any other grouping, then only the parent issue shows as a card and the existence of subtasks under it is indicated by the icon shown in this image.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 8.53.42 AM.png

Like # people like this
elizabeth.lavely July 27, 2022

Thank you Trudy!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events