How to set up email notifications in Jira cloud

Ken Gnau May 27, 2022

I am using Jira cloud.

I am trying to set up Jira email notifications whenever an issue that I am watching is updated. What I have accomplished thus far is to click on "Personal settings" from my profile picture dropdown.

From the Personal settings page, I have selected:

1. Watch your issues: Enabled

2. Your Jira homepage: Projects directory

3. Email notifications for issue activity: Send me email notifications

4. Selected each of the five checkbox options

5. Email notifications format: Text

6. Clicked "Save changes"

At this point I am expecting to see email notifications if any of the configured options mentioned above take place, but I am not receiving any.

Can someone tell me what I am missing here? I have searched the internet, but haven't found anything past the steps I have mentioned for configuration.

Thank you

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2022

Hi @Ken Gnau

Welcome to the community!

Notifications are tied to the project's notification scheme. If the scheme mentions that watchers should get an email, you will get one.

Details here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-notification-schemes/

Regards

Ken Gnau May 27, 2022

"Notification schemes" is not found under "Project settings" > "Issues"

Ken Gnau May 31, 2022

Thanks Fabian, I figured out what was preventing the emails from going out.

Like Fabian Lim likes this
1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2022

Hi @Ken Gnau ,

welcome to the Atlassian community!

Please check Notification Scheme within your project and verify that watchers have been added to the related event (Issue Updated in your case).

This should fix your issue.

Fabio

1 vote
carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2022

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the community!

First of all, can you have your JIRA Administrator use Notification Helper to confirm that you should've received a notification for the activity?

Also:

1) If you are working with a Company Managed project, the Notification Scheme associated with that project can be modified to send emails to Watchers for a variety of events. Refer to this documentation page for more details:

2) You can update the Notification Scheme to send notifications for events to an email address, but there is a caveat that it will do so only for Public issues. Another option is to set up an Automation rule to send an email to an email address upon any change to an issue in the project. You may want to refine that rule so it would send emails only for certain changes.

Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Carlos

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events