How to send an auto notification to non-jira users after create an issue

Muraleetharan Ramaraj March 3, 2021

Hi,

I have configured Mail handler to create Jira tickets from an Email id. Tickets are created successfully and Email notification is generating for registered Jira users, but it is not notifying Non-Jira users.

Can you please help?

3 answers

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2021

Hi @Muraleetharan Ramaraj ,

One option might be to use an add-on like Automation For Jira or ScriptRunner to send the notification to the email address. 

Hi John,

Thanks for your Email!

I have installed Mail Me plugin to send an Email(Manually) to non-jira user after adding comments.

Email handlers send an Email to Jira users automatically after create a ticket. Is there any way to notify non-jira users automatically when tickets are created from non-jira user Email Id.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2021

There is using Automation For Jira or ScriptRunner. I am not familiar with the Mail Me plugin. 

0 votes
Muraleetharan Ramaraj March 4, 2021

Hi Mike,

I have installed the Trail version of "EMail This Issue" plugin but it is not notifying non-jira user automatically when create tickets in Jira. 

Is there any way to initiate an Email automatically for non-jira users when jira ticket is being created?

Regards,

Muralee

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2021

HI @Muraleetharan Ramaraj 

The documentation for the has changed since I last used it much but there are a couple of things you will likely need to do.

I don't see in your question chain any work other than installing an app to make Jira email the ticket in question. Almost nothing in Jira works where you install a thing, it does a thing. This will require some work adding a post function to the "Create" transition to your workflow. I don't see that Email this Issue has an ability to put a hard coded, arbitrary email address in the recipients of the post function email but one can always create a custom field to pull that from.

Also, I don't know the scenario where you do have a fixed and hard coded external email address to send to, a fixed set, or purely arbitrary. Ideas bouncing around in my head include making a custom field for the hard coded (make it the default) or arbitrary (force an entry at create) to email from that custom field. I do also have a case where I have many users that I send emails to that are not active Jira users wherein I create active users that are NOT in the "jira-users" group; they are active but have no login privileges. These let me select them from a normal Jira user picker for use in emailing the issue

Hope this gives you some grist for getting along there. There are any number of ways to do this function but none that entail, for all intents and purposes, only flipping a switch and they are all unique to your particular use case.

0 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2021

Hi @Muraleetharan Ramaraj 

You might try adding Jira Misc Workflow Extensions. JMWE has a post function you can add to email an issue with the information you want to share from the ticket and can send to arbitrary email addresses. This can be either hard coded in the post function or be picked up from a custom field that you might put an email address into.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your Email!

I want to send notification automatically as part of ticket creation in Jira not after created the ticket.

I can manually notify the non-jira users after ticket creation using Mail Me plugin.

Can you please help?

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2021

I have been keeping (for a lot of reasons) my plugin stack thin and JMWE does this for me.

I have similar use cases where humans need to be notified as a ticket is being created. Whether from a user picker or a manually entered email field, on the "Create" transition of a Jira ticket, emails are sent out at the same time as the ticket pops into existence on the system. 

As I quickly grep the documentation on Mail Me, it does appear that it is primarily a user level manually triggered methodology to send an email after creation. I don't see a way to embed the functionality in a workflow post function so that it happens automagically on ticket create. 

If you need only the functionality to email an issue at create and don't foresee needing the Swiss Army Knife of tool goodness in JMWE, I can recommend Email This Issue

Suggest an answer