How to select what fields to export issues to in JIRA?

Jyot Dawar March 11, 2019

When I export issues to csv in JIRA, with current fields, none of the project's custom fields is there and when i export to csv (all fields), all fields that are not even in the screens associated with the project shows up and it's hard to get through the data. Any help will be much appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2019

Hi @Jyot Dawar ,

in order to have a field exported using 'current fields' option, you have to display that field on the screen by configuring columns.

When you can see the custom field column on the screen it will be in the exported csv regardless you have there values or not.

Regards,

Jakub.

Jyot Dawar March 12, 2019

Configuring columns in the board configuration? Not sure if i am understanding you correctly. Can you explain it again?

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2019

I was describing how to export issues from the search issues view.

Screenshot from 2019-03-12 13-40-45_mod.png

Are you trying to export issues directly from the board?

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2019

Hi

That's a cloud display yes?

For server, the empty columns aren't exported - at least not on our 7.11 server

Maybe server/c;loud differences?

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2019

@Tom ListerYes, this is  Jira Cloud. And Jira Cloud will export custom fields even with no values. The only requirement is to add such field to displayed columns.

@Jyot DawarWhat Jira do you use?

Jyot Dawar March 13, 2019

I'm using JIRA server, i'm not getting any of the custom fields for the project when extracting with current fields. And with all fields, i'm getting all the fields that are not associated with the project and those columns are empty. Also i'm exporting from search view as well, but i don't the columns as you have shown. I am running JIRA version 7.12.0

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2019

Hi @Jyot Dawar ,

I checked that on the Jira Server version 7.13.1 and it works in exactly the same way as on Jira Cloud.

I can see the columns button in exactly the same place.

Screenshot from 2019-03-13 09-57-27.png

I don't see it on 7.12.0

2019-03-13 16_05_27-[CC-458] P37974357 - Jira.png

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2019

@Jyot DawarCan you switch to list view?

Like # people like this

@Jakub Sławiński  Ok, i see it now, thanks!

Michael O'Brien June 2, 2020

Hi.  My Custom fields are not being exported to Excel or WORD.  Even when I have them displayed on the List View screen.  Is there something special I have to do to get them to export?

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2019

Hi @Jyot Dawar 

Custom fields don’t exist for an issue until they have values. Check if your issues have values. All fields as it says. 

depending on what you want to use your extract for, the current fields is producing valid data as far as jira is concerned.

can you set values in your custom fields?

current fields only show one custom field and a couple of system fields. And all fields shows all system fields and custom fields from all projects that don't have values. And i just want the system fields and custom fields in the screen from the specific project and issue type to show in the csv file.

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2019

I understand but Jira doesn't export fields with no values at all to current filelds csv export. If you just set one value in one issue, the column will be added.

Just asking - why do you need an empty column exported?

Well it does, and i don't need the empty columns exported

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2019

Hi @Jyot Dawar ,

If this custom field is only displayed in a particular IssueType, try to limit the scope of the query, add for example "IssueType = Story", then use export issues to csv in JIRA, with current fields.

i have limited the query to the project of the issue type and it is still the same. 

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2019

Hi @Jyot Dawar 

if the custom fields aren’t populated for the issues they won’t appear in the current fields extract

There are fields that are populated that don't show in the csv extract 

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2019

Ok

The columns are in different sections

Your default

Filter Columns

System Defaults

Check which you setting. Try the filter defaults

I'm using JIRA version 7.12.0. And i don't know where that is in the search view

Werner Schott October 26, 2021

I've got 104 fields coming out in the extract, but only 13 fields on the screen for that issue type. The 104 include some weird fields like 'Work Ratio' and 78 custom fields, which are not included in the screen configuration fields. The answers above are not answering the question - some of them are plain wrong. Suggestions like 'limit the query' limit rows, not columns, which we're trying to do. 

Suggest an answer