How to select a different Field Configuration for a different Issue Type in the same project?

Dan de Castro November 16, 2020

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before - I'm not finding the answer here and I have been running in circles for a day or two trying to figure this out.

All I want to do is select a different field configuration for sub-tasks in the same project.

Reason being, is that the parent issues have a required field. I don't want this required field on the sub-tasks as it causes the Create modal to open which is quite the pain and really time-consuming when creating multiple sub-tasks.

Does someone have some steps I can follow, or at least some direction to point me in?

FieldConfig.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

This screenshot is of a "field configuration scheme".  You've chopped off the "add" at the top right of it and the "change" options in the rightmost column, but those are what you need to use to add new field configurations or change the existing associations.

Thanks for the quick answer :)

Sorry - this is the Issue Types page - I don't seem to have the options you mentioned.

If I "Use a different scheme" then it prompts to change the entire project.

Would this perhaps have something to do with permissions? I am an admin but maybe there's some things I'm still not allowed to do.

Dan

IssueTypes.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Ah, ok, wrong place! Try going to the fields section and look for the field configuration and field configuration scheme

Nic, thanks a ton. I was doing things backwards.

So essentially, the fix for me is to go to my currently selected Field Configuration Scheme and "Associate an issue type with a field configuration" - adding each subtask and linking them to the Field Configuration that doesn't have a required field.

Thanks again for your speedy responses and for pointing me in the right direction :)

[Edit] Here's a screenshot for anyone else that might be as confused as I was ->

ConfigScheme.png

Cheers!

Dan

Michael Gabler May 19, 2022

I think this request is associated . . . newbie to JIRA, admin rights.  I want to have a different field config for the different issues but right now everything is using Default:

JIRA1.png

When I go to check which Issue is associated with a Field Config, I have this:

JIRA2.png

How do I get the desired Field Configs to be used instead of Default.   I have a feeling I am one window away from how to configure this . . . .

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2022

You can either change the default field configuration scheme, or add a new field configuration scheme that maps all the field configurations on to the issue types, and associate the new scheme with the project.

Michael Gabler May 19, 2022

Thank you . . . .that was the hint I needed:
How to associate a field configuration scheme with a project

1. Go to your project and click Project settings.
2. Click Fields.
3. Click Actions > Use a different scheme.
4. Select the scheme you want to associate with this project.
5. Click Associate.

Working as desired now.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events