How to see which issues are incomplete when closing a sprint?

Matt April 7, 2015

My sprint has 65 issues in it. All 65 are done. When I attempt to complete the sprint, the dialog says:

65 issues were Done.
4 incomplete issues will be returned to the top of the backlog.

How can I find which 4 issues it's referring to? None show on the board or in reports that are outside of the 65 done issues.

5 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2015

Check your board configuration - have you mapped all possible status for the projects into columns, or are you missing some that contain the 4 issues?

Check your board filter - try running it as a standard search and see what the results are (I'd expect to find 69, with the additional 4 having a different status to the rest)

Farid Bonawiede April 6, 2018

This solved it for me as well!

Bharathi Sudanagunta April 23, 2019

Mapping the columns worked for me too!! Thanks

1 vote
Alex Viale October 7, 2019

None of these things worked for me. 

Mapped all status' to columns. Filters showing all issue types. 

Not sure what resolution is or why i need it versus status.

Patrick Tchouanto October 10, 2019

I have the same issue as you. I've mapped all colums/statuses.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2019

If you need help with this, please share

• The board filter
  • The column configuration for the board
  • The workflow diagram(s)
  • A list of issues - ideally, we want to see at least two, one that appears and one that does not, showing status, resolution, issue type and parent issue (where appropriate), plus any other field mentioned in the board filter
  • If you have any security schemes associated with the project

It's almost impossible to diagnose this if you think you've done everything mentioned above without seeing your config.

Like Scott Thurston likes this
Deleted user November 12, 2019

I found that this can happen if the Done column of a Kanban board isn't the one at the rightmost position. I had a Not Required column in the rightmost position and when I moved the Done column to that position, the issues with the phantom 'incomplete' state were suddenly accepted as complete when closing the sprint.

It might be to do with the fundamental principal of a traditional Kanban board that nothing is truly complete until it reaches the right side of the board.

Like # people like this
Raghavendra December 7, 2019

Thank you David, the moment I had moved the "DONE" as rightmost column Yes, all tasks are reflecting as completed.

Like Harish Reddy likes this
1 vote
Wilson Govindji May 16, 2017

I have faced this problem when Jira issues have been moved from Project A to Project B, for some reason the issues were still linked to Project A, because those issues were included in a Sprint from Project A.

You should go to Project B and you will find there those issues inside a new Sprint that is linked to Project A and edit the issues and remove from the Sprint.

1 vote
Matt April 7, 2015

Interesting. I narrowed the JQL to just issues in the sprint–no other criteria, and found the 4 issues are assigned to another project! Good to know. I'll have to watch for that going forward.

Thanks Nic!

0 votes
Eugene Nikolaychuk February 11, 2019

Another thing that can happen - there are issues with your current sprint which are not included in the filter you use for your board.

In my case, QA guys specified current sprint while creating their X-Ray tests, but I didn't include this issue type in my query. Also, the tests' workflow didn't have resolution.

After I removed the sprint from the tests - there were no incomplete issues upon closing the sprint.

Also, adding resolution to tests' workflow and moving them to resolved status might have also helped, but I didn't try. I didn't want the tests in the sprint anyway.

Suggest an answer