How to retrieve all items where the sprint name contains a specific string

Jake S April 29, 2024

How to retrieve all items in sprints, where the sprint name contains a specific string. the sprints can be open or closed.

Example: a search for all item where the sprint name contains "2024.01" should return all items on both of these.

sprint name = "2024.01" or "sprint 2024.01"

1 answer

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 30, 2024

Hi @Jake S

to the best of my knowledge, this isn't possible natively. You could do a clause like

sprint in (<sprint ID 1>, <sprint ID 2>, ...)

but that's probably not what you're looking for. In theory, I can imagine that you could somehow use Jira Automation to write an issue's sprint name into a single-line text custom field, and then use JQL's contains ("~") operator on this field, but this would obviously be quite a hack.

Alternatively, if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, you'll find a number of apps that either a.) extend JQL by additional functions, or b.) offer their own, more powerful search and filter mechanisms.

As an example, your use case would be easy to solve using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. One of the filtering options available is text-based filtering; this is how it looks in action:

sprint-text-search.gif

For more advanced use cases, you can also use regular expressions

I should add that JXL can do much more than the above: From support for configurable issue hierarchies, to issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders