How to restrict users from creating task in a team managed project?

Ryan Paul August 25, 2022

I need to restrict users from creating tasks, but at the same time, the users can shift tasks on the board, comment, and log in their time.  

I tried changing the user access to Viewer, and that worked. The user wasn't able to create a task. But on the board, the user wasn't able to shift the task. I need the user to shift the task to another column on the board.

Is this possible?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Paul August 26, 2022

Hi! I think I found a way to do that... It seems to work the way I wanted it to, surprisingly!

I am using a Team-Managed project.

Open up a project.

In project settings > Access. A list of users is displayed. Click on the role and a dropdown is displayed. 

Click on managed roles > Create roles

A list of options is displayed. I checked and unchecked the ones I needed. As I have mentioned earlier,

1. I don't want other users from creating tasks
  2. I want users to transfer tasks on the board

Click on Create and assign the new role to those users, and refresh the page. 

When I checked on the user's system if they can create tasks, the option to create tasks is not present, as well as, they can shift tasks on the board.

Just what I am looking for! 

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Good for you @Ryan Paul ! Certainly I've missed a lot on TMP since I'm only working on CM projects. Back to the drawing board for me and I've got a lot of reading to do!

Like Ryan Paul likes this
0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hi @Ryan Paul 

Perhaps TMP are not the best choice for you. Maybe Company Managed Project is the best option, since you can handle all individual permissions from the permissions scheme.

0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2022

Hi @Ryan Paul ,

As per the description, I think your project access level is "Limited". In this case Issue operations like Edit/Move/Transition, etc will not be allowed to a default Viewer role but they can be able to add comments/attachments, etc.

For more details please have a look at here

Thank you

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2022

I'm afraid it is not possible in the security model of team managed projects. "Viewer" is too little, "Member" is too much for your purposes.

See: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/next-gen-permissions/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events