How to restore deleted issues back in JIRA

Vinay Poosa July 21, 2021

Hi Team, early this week one of my employee had accidentally deleted the issues from a project in JIRA which had a good number of worklogs. Luckily we were able to have a weekly backup of the worklogs. But now to restore the worklogs we would need the deleted issues back in the system. Could someone help us in restoring the deleted issues back to the same project in JIRA. We are on JIRA Server 8.13.1 Version. Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kris G _Alacriz_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2021

@Vinay Poosa , 

Your issue description says you are on Jira Server v8.13.1 but the community fields say otherwise (Cloud, free plan). So, I will go with what you said in text. 

If you have the daily back ups running, you can restore the latest XML backup created as per this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/automating-jira-application-backups-938847675.html. You may also restore the latest backup taken manually or from database. 

If none of the above exist, you cannot retrieve the deleted issues in Jira. 

best,
Kris 

@Kris G _Alacriz_ @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Mohamed Benziane 

As mentioned about, I'm not sure how this went into Cloud and free plan settings. I'm unable to update this post. We are on Server version though.

Thanks for sharing this steps. Our IT team mentioned that we have a daily backup that they are retained for only two days.

Question though- The deletion of issues was held on 19th July 2021. Now, if I restore the data with the backup file which was last taken on 7th July 2021 will I lose the data which was created in JIRA after the 8th July 2021 till date? FYI- The next backup was on 20th July 2021 which will not work to restore as its after the deletion of issues.

I really, appreciate your help on this. Thanks again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

It's only a minor confusion, we're just being careful to talk about the right thing.  When you start to ask a question on Community, it lists all the systems your Atlassian account has access to, each of which is listed with (Cloud), (Server) or (Data Centre).  And options at the end for "none of these, so generic <system> + cloud/server/dc".   I guess you simply hit the wrong one.

Anyway, yes you will "lose" all the data entered or updated since the backup was taken.  That's why I said "restore it to a dev/test system and look into merging it back into production" - I don't think you want to lose x days work!

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- We will plan to restore the backed-up file to the new server and then pull the data one by one to the active one. Let me try this process and keep you posted for any further inquires. Thanks for your swift response.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I can't see any option other than Cloud, maybe that is the reason I was forced to pick it to post my question.Capture.JPG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

Ah, should have hit the line below.

1 vote
Nino Kezherashvili October 22, 2023

Hello,

With the User Activity Audit Log, you can restore deleted issues.

You can check more details in the article as well: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-discussions/How-to-restore-deleted-issues-and-track-audit-logs/m-p/2509087#M21327

You can try the app and if you have any questions and/or suggestions, please let us know via this thread, by opening a ticket on our Service Desk and we can schedule a demo for the application.

Best regards 

Nino.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2021

You've tagged this with Cloud, but say you are on Server.

Do you have backups of the Server data?  Either xml or via the database?  To restore issues, you'd need to restore that to a temporary dev system and merge the issue data back into your main production system from it.

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2021

Hi,

This is not possible, unfortunately when you delete an issue its gone forever. As you are on free plan you only support is the Community otherwise you could ask Atlassian for a backup.

Not sure what you say about free plan. It was checked automatically.

Suggest an answer