How to reorder a subtask card in a column on the board ?

Just Another User March 18, 2021

Using JIRA v8.13.1

There is a JIRA issue in the backlog. A subtask of that issue is in progress status on the board in a column.

The subtask is at the end of many cards in the column.

The subtask couldn't be dragged and dropped in a different location in the same column.

When the card is dragged and dropped somewhere above , the card doesn't move to the new location.

Can the subtask card be reordered ? How ?

The problem is not for just this subtask. It is the same for all subtasks on the board.

I also verified the configuration that the cards on the board is ordered by rank

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2021

Hello @Just Another User 

The answer is unfortunately no.

The subtask displayed in the board should have a small header above it that identifies its parent issue, like this - SDP-1225 is the parent and SDP-1912 is the subtask

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.45.25 AM.png

Subtasks can be ranked only relative to the other subtasks under the same parent. Beyond that, they will show in the column in the same position as their parent issue's rank relative to the other story/task/bug issues. You would need to change the rank of the parent issue to change the position of the subtask.

Thanks @Trudy Claspill 

Since the parent issue is in the backlog , Will its rank be always lower than the issues that are already on the board ?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2021

I'm not an expert, but I think the answer is no. Rank is a relative position compared to other issues regardless of status.

If you have issue ranked thus in your backlog:

Issue-1

Issue-2

Issue-3

Issue-4

... then ranking records that Issue-3 has Issue-4 below it and Issue-2 in above it. When the issues change status that rank information remains the same unless you change the issue's rank after changing its status. I don't think I can explain relative ranking adequately or provide a good example that would explain it clearly, but I'll try.

If Issue-3 is changed to In Progress and there are no other issues In Progress, then it will appear to be the highest ranked issue In Progress. But if you then change Issue-2 to In Progress, the relative ranking will automatically put it higher than Issue-3, because that is how the issues were ranked overall.

If you then changed the ranking of those two issues so that Issue-3 was higher than Issue-2, I believe all the affected issues get re-ranked. So then regardless of the status the overall ranking becomes

Issue-1

Issue-3

Issue-2

Issue-4

As you move the issues between statuses, the overall ranking is maintained and that determines their ranking within a given status.

Like Just Another User likes this

Thanks again!

Do you know a way to change the rank of issues when some of them are in backlog and some are on the board ?

I can drag drop issues on the backlog but there only issues in the backlog there.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2021

You might use a separate kanban board based on the same filter, but without a backlog screen and with all not-Done statuses mapped to one column.

That would put all your issues into one column where you could re-rank them, and those changes should be reflected in the ranking of issues in your primary board.

Like Just Another User likes this
John Warde
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2022

@Trudy Claspill You mentioned "You would need to change the rank of the parent issue to change the position of the subtask" - how do I change the rank of the parent issue?  In your example, you can't drag & drop by clicking on "SDP-1225" to order it in relation to issues above/below "SDP-1225".

For my specific scenario, see image below. I know from the previous answers here, that I can reorder RON-597, RON-595, RON-599 within RON-546. 

However, I want to be able to drag & drop RON-546 above RON-372 so than the entire RON-546 (and it's subtasks) panel is positioned/ranked between RON-510 & RON-372. 

For me, I when I hover over RON-546 number/title the mouse cursor does not change to a cross-hair cursor and is not drag-able. I can't see a Rank field (number?) to edit it manually to rank it in relation to RON-510 & RON-372.

I can successfully drag & drop a Bug issue with subtasks but not a Story issue.

FYI: Using a Kanban board, project type of "Software", Software Simplified Workflow Scheme.

Untitled.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2022

Hello @John Warde 

Welcome to the community.

The fact that the parent issue shows up as a header line instead of a full card suggests that its Status is not the same as the Status mapped to that column. If the parent issue status was the same as that column, then it should show up as a card with its sub-tasks indented below it, and you could drag-drop the parent issue card.

If it is not appropriate to change the parent issue's Status to match the column, then you would need to consider the option I suggested in the final comment I made on this thread previously - use a separate board where there is no Backlog screen and all statuses are mapped to one column.

Like John Warde likes this
John Warde
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2022

Thank you @Trudy Claspill !!

That's exactly what was happening, I am now able to order the items correctly.

Suggest an answer