How to remove shading from image viewer

David Bounds March 22, 2021

The new jira view has a shading at the top and bottom of the image when viewed. This hides the URL which is very important for reproduction/documentation. Is there a way to stop the image viewer from shading the picture?

Click any image that is attached to a ticket and notice that the top and bottom are obscured.

4 answers

4 votes
Russell Hiscock August 11, 2021

i vote to remove the 'feature'. Who decided obscuring part of an image arbitrarily was a good idea? a triumph of 'pretty' over 'usable'.

2 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2021

Hello David,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Testing on my local site, I didn’t see much difference between the old and new issue view when viewing an image or another attachment.

It does show the shadow when the mouse pointer is over the image, but it shows the same information.

Can you please let us know more details about the URL that is hidden when viewing the image?

Old view:

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 15.47.19.png

New view:

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 15.48.38.png

We can create a feature request suggesting to remove this because currently, it’s not possible to disable it.

Kind regards,
Angélica

David Bounds May 17, 2021

@Angélica Luz Sorry for the delay!

Yes, your second image shows the problem. The grayed out area at the top is typically covering the URL. We use the URL to identify pages being referenced. 

As you can see it is darker at the top of your second image and this darkness is what obscures the URL in many of the images we attach to tickets.

Notice in the old view that there is no portion of the image that is obscured.

Like # people like this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2021

Hi David,

Thank you for the details.

It’s not possible to disable this preview. Depending on the type of the file, it will show this shadow on the top and bottom.

There is a feature suggesting improvements for that:

What I tested here that can be a workaround, is to open the developer tools on the browser, where it will be possible to have more control of the zoom.

When opening an image to preview it, right-click and select “Inspect”.

- https://share.getcloudapp.com/DOuDz5Qn

Deb Rogowski September 10, 2021

Yes, by all means, PLEASE get rid of that shadow! What was the reasoning behind obscuring part of a valuable image?? 

Like # people like this
lawrence December 13, 2021

yep those shadows are really becoming a nuisance since it covers the URL, and you have to wait a few seconds for it to clear out, moving the mouse also blurs it again.

Like # people like this
Andrew Keefe March 23, 2022

@Angélica Luz

respectfully, it does not "...show the same information." It shows less, therefore it is undesirable. Or, to be fair, it shows the same information after a time delay that is also undesirable and serves no value to end users.

Please do try to get this changed.

Best,

Andrew

Like # people like this
Jake Scherer July 19, 2022

If you are stead-fast on keeping these shadows, please at least add the ability to remove them with a user or global setting.

Much of the discussion we have revolves around graphs and charts copy/pasted from Excel. With these shadows, reading the title is difficult and reading the X Axis's label is nearly impossible. 

I've pushed so hard to get our team to use Jira and this has become a major source of pushback from the management team. 

Like Jonas Levin likes this
Andrew MacKenzie June 19, 2023

Another vote to remove this. Super inconvenient - many screenshots from Customers and Support folk include important information at the top that is hidden by this shadow. 

Like # people like this
Jonas Levin October 17, 2023

As an art director, its super annoying to not be able to simply screenshot inside Jira, paste and comment in a mail or similar, but rather having to download the image, open up Photoshop, screenshot inside photoshop or another image viewer, screenshot and past... every single time. Its like an emoji at the middle of the screen giving me the finger each time I have to give feedback on an image.

Like Mariellen Mihopoulos likes this
Simon Marriott February 21, 2024

Another vote to remove the annoying top/bottom shading

Like Mariellen Mihopoulos likes this
0 votes
Marshall Palfenier February 21, 2024

I'm also here to bump/upvote the request to remove this shadow which obscures critical information. 

0 votes
Simon Marriott February 21, 2024

Another vote to remove the annoying top/bottom shading

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events