How to remove a Board from a Project? (without deleting)

Marco Martinez July 11, 2018

Hi, I recently open a new project and created a Kanban board which combines 3 existing projects with this new one, so I can visualize tasks of the four of them. For this I used this Querie:

project in (New Project, Project 1, Project 2, Project 3) ORDER BY Rank ASC

The problem is that now I can visualize this new board in each one of the projects I included in the filter, and I only want to see it in the new project. How can I remove this combining Board from Project 1, Project 2 and Project 3 without deleting it?

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2018

@Marco Martinez,

actually...it may be possible. At least in Cloud.

I haven't tried this but it may work and worth a try.

1. Create your filter and save it
  2. Create a new Kanban board using the filter
  3. When you get to this screen select your profile in the Location drop down

Boards_-_JIRA.jpg

Why this might work:

Boards created against your profile as the location do not show up in any project by default. But you can create a link to the board within the project. So you should be able to add the link in the one project and not the others.

Again, this may only be available in Cloud and it may not meet your needs. 

Marco Martinez July 12, 2018

It does makes sense, but as I am not in the cloud:+

Capture.PNG

I do not get the Location option.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2018

Marco, 

There isn't a way to do this. I understand the frustration, but if I board filter touches a software project then the board will show up there. In theory, you could change the project types of the three projects to "Business", but that would remove all boards, not just the one.

Thanks, 

Kian

Marco Martinez July 12, 2018

It is indeed frustrating Kian, thanks for the answer!

6 votes
Michael Hackley August 13, 2019

So, we use Jira 7.8.1.  In order to remove a project from a board, I did the following:

1.  Navigate to the board by clicking the "Boards" dropdown button on the main menu bar, then select the board you want to remove a project from.

2.  In the upper right-hand corner, click the "Boards" (dropdown) button, and select "Configure"

3.  From the General tab of the board's configuration, find the "Saved Filter" entry, then click the "Edit Filter Query" hyperlink below it.

4.  This brings up the "Filter Query" page.  In the upper left corner, is a dropdown button with the board name.  Click this button, and it beings up a dropdown list with all the projects, whether they're related to the board or not.  Find the project you want to remove from the board, and UNCHECK the box on the right hand side of the project name.

You can also use this a quick way to add a board to a project.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Johnny_Trujillo February 24, 2020

Thank you Michael! This was the straight forward resolution 

Ilias11 March 26, 2020

In the upper left corner, is a dropdown button with the board name. 

Where is that button supposed to be?

26-03-_2020_09-26-56.png

Rach April 27, 2020

I cannot locate it either in new navigation, its like it disappeared... :( 

Christopher Sanders December 1, 2021

@Rach @Ilias11 

You have to click "basic" in the upper right next to the blue search button, then the drop down he brought up will appear.   Click advanced to get the original panel back. 

Otherwise this was a perfect tutorial. 

Like Martin Benavides likes this
2 votes
Christoph Beer April 29, 2020

A liitle bit late for Marco probably,

but in case someone else is looking for a solution:

On our Jira Datacenter 7ff I have observed the following:

- boards using private filters appear only for the owner (which is rather clear)

- if a board filter has a share (i.e. is shared with anyone) it will appear if you use "project" in the underlying filter.
If you do not use "project" in the filter then the board does not appear in the project view.
Workarounds for filtering on projects are
using the issue key, e.g. "key >= ABC-1" or
to use project categories and then to filter on the project category, e.g. "category = myProjCat".

So for me it seems like the board is shown in the project only if it is shared and the underlying filter uses the "project" field for filtering.

Marco_Gräni June 19, 2020

Thanks Christoph! 

This is exactly what I was looking for. Works perfectly. 

Gregory Pakosz December 28, 2021

This should be the accepted answer...

Also: is there really no other way around that?

Suggest an answer