• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to remove Epic from list of epics? Edited

What I'm looking for should be pretty straightforward; yet I cannot make it happen. My query:

type = Epic AND "Epic Link" != XXXXXX-XX

results in an empty list.

Variations I have tried are:

type = Epic AND "Epic Link" not in (XXXXXX-XX, YYYYYY-YY)

type = Epic AND component ~! XXX       . . . where XXX is a theme component I put in to exclude certain epics

Just in case someone is about to ask the obvious question - I do have epics. A search query 'type = Epic' does give a list of epics.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

The most straight-forward JQL for excluding an epic from the filter would be:

type = Epic AND key not in (<epic issue key>)

Where <epic issue key> could be, in example XYZ-258.

Note that you could easily exclude more than one epic by adding their issue keys separated by commas, ie:

type = Epic AND key not in (XYZ-258, JRASERVER-57, JSD-22)

So, there's no need to flag the Epics with a component for filtering them out, which would only be better if the epics you wanted to filter out already had that component in common, while no other epics you wanted the filter to still return belonged to that component.

Hope it helps.

@Ignacio Pulgar - that is exactly the solution I was looking for - thanks you! That pulls me out of the rabbit hole of epic-link that I was stuck.

Hello! this is removing ALL epics from my board now, even though I am following all the steps outlined above. Is anyone able to assist?

0 votes

You JQL query should be like this

type = Epic OR "Epic Link" not in (XXXXXX-XX, YYYYYY-YY)

Hi Alexey, that works, but results in a list of issues that are not in those specific epics. So that means that the "Epic Link" will not work as epics don't have an "Epic Link".

Based on your answer, I will update my question.

Epic Link is a field which stores a reference to an Epic. This field can not be set for Epics. That is why your query will never return any result.

I think I just solved it:

type = Epic AND (component is EMPTY OR component != XXX)

:-) 

You know your requirements better :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

868 views 14 20
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you