How to prevent issues from being closed while the sub-tasks are still open in Jira

Anil Perugu August 31, 2021

How to prevent issues from being closed while the sub-tasks are still open in Jira?

I am using "Team managed software" template.

1 answer

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2021

This is NOT possible in the way you are looking for, but you can do something similar 
through automation rules, but not through the rules in the workflow editor. 

Instead, open your project settings and find the automation section.  
You'll start on "library" tab, but you want to switch the Rules tab and then you'll be able to create one like this:

*note - you can do this in a lot of ways, I'm just choose the force the ticket back into In Progress, but you'll have to consider how you've set your project up for this to work:

chrome_2021-08-31_14-52-19.png

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2021

To clarify, I am not "preventing" it here, that's not possible at all in Team managed projects, you need to use validators or conditionals in a Company managed project to actually prevent it, as far as I can tell.

DWedekind September 1, 2021

For a server environment (unsure if it is the same within the cloud):

If your are using Script Runner you will find a condition called 

"All sub-tasks must be resolved [ScriptRunner]" while editing a transition.

otherwise it is a condition called "Sub-Task Blocking Condition". Here you can choose the status a subtask must have before the parent task can be resolved.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2021

This is not the same in Jira Cloud for Team Managed projects.

Jira Server is similar to Jira Cloud Company Managed projects. but Team Managed projects have a very different workflow management process.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events