How to prevent due dates from changing after a Jira is created in team managed

Samuelraj April 29, 2024

How to prevent due dates from changing after a Jira is created, such that once a due date is chosen, it cannot be changed by anyone in team managed project

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2024

Hi @Samuelraj 

You can't really prevent that from being updated after it is changed like that very easily. You can create an automation like Mohamed suggest to set it back to the previous value - and I would also email the user and tell them not to update it in the future. 

What I would do is create a custom date field that is not on the screen. Then when the date is updated the first time, capture the date. 

The other option is to have the date on the Create screen but not the Edit screen. So if it is added during the create process, then it cannot be changed later. This is the easiest solution.

However, if it will not always be added during the create process but added later, then you create a new screen that just has the date field on it. Then you could do the above Create and Edit screens and add a self looping transition to the status. There attach the screen to the transition that only has the date field on it.

I would still create a custom field - but it can be a date field or any other type really, that is populated when the field is first populated - basically the same automation above.

I would then also add a few conditions to the self looping transition that 1. Only allow the Assignee to execute the transition and 2. the custom field is empty. So once the field is populated the first time, the custom field is populated. Then subsequent tries to update will not show the self looping transition to the user so therefore, they cannot update the field. I would also add a Condition that allows the Admin group to perform the transition so that someone has the ability to update it if necessary. 

That's a very long and sorted way to do it, but you could achieve it that way. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2024

Hi @Samuelraj 

Agreeing with John's suggestions, and...

I recommend pausing to understand why due dates are changing, and under what conditions that would be a valid need.  That is, what is the root cause leading to changing the field.  Please discuss this symptom with your team to learn "why" this is happening, possibly such as:

• entry error when the issue is created >>> caused by creating issues before forecasts are ready
  • something else changed the field, such as an automation rule >>> caused by new rules not checked for impacts
  • more information leads to a decision to change the due date forecast >>> caused by not sharing forecast information
  • someone intentionally changes the due date or other reasons >>> caused by uncollaborative team behaviors
  • etc.

Understanding the cause may help to address the underlying problem, and know when there are legitimate reasons to change the field after issue create.  Your team coach can help you have this discussion with team.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2024

Hi,

You could create an automation that will set back the first value anytime an user make a change to this field.

Samuelraj April 30, 2024

can you help me with the automation if possible

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events