How to notify customers upon updates to a feature request?

Haganta Ginting May 5, 2023

I have a public tracker project through which I would like our customers to be able to stay updated on the features they have requested. Customers would be able to view these public tracker ticket, and I would like them to be notified whenever updates happen to this ticket. This is set up as a Jira Software project at the moment.

At the moment, I am not able to add our customers as watchers to these feature request tickets. The customers I have set up in our JSM project do not show up as users I can add onto these issues. So at the moment, they are not notified when updates happen to these feature request tickets. As a workaround, I am considering adding a custom user field through which I could enter a user's e-mail. Afterwards, I would set up an automation that would send out an e-mail to these users whenever an update happens to the feature request. However, it does not seem like I can add a customer to this user field.

I would like to know if there is a direct way for us to automate notifying our customers whenever the feature request tickets are updated. If there is no way, I would like to know if it is possible to add customers into a custom user field, or if there would be any other workaround to allow customers to be notified on updates to our feature requests.

1 answer

0 votes
Ken McClean
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2023

One of the challenges I've found with automations is that you can't simply tell it to "email such and such an email address". It will only give you the option to email a licensed user of the system.

Do you have ScriptRunner or some other way of extending the functionality of the system?

Haganta Ginting May 5, 2023

To my knowledge the instance I am working with does not currently have ScriptRunner or similar apps installed. However, I have been able to configure automation to send emails to a custom user field. Would I be correct in assuming there is just no way to add customers as a user in this field? 

Ken McClean
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2023

Correct, customers aren't considered "users" because they're not licensed (usually).  So they don't take up license spots, but on the other hand you can't treat them like regular users of the system,

Like Haganta Ginting likes this
Haganta Ginting May 10, 2023

That makes sense. We are trying to set-up something similar to the public bug tracker Atlassian themselves have, but it seems to not be something that is very easily set up. Thank you for your help!

Like Ken McClean likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events