• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to model Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) in JIRA?

We have multiple Agile Release Trains, but are just trying to use JIRA for Essential SAFe at this stage for each Train.  Does each train become their own project?  

Then each project will have its own Program level backlog (Jira Epic/SAFe feature)?  

How to give visibility to executives?  Can each project provide summary at higher level?  We tried Portfolio but it was too confusing.  Would Structure be a better choice?  

Looking for any guidance.  Thank you

4 answers

Hi Nancy,

My name is Phil, full disclosure; I'm a solutions engineer at ALM Works (we make Structure for Jira) and am also SPC certified.

We've seen our customers implement Essential SAFe in a few different ways, their journey to scaling agile in their organization is very dependent on where their organization already is and more specifically, depends on how their Jira was already set up.

We don't recommend each ART to be given their own project, though you could do it that way. A good resource to look at would be this Atlassian blog post about Scaling Agile.  It has a lot of useful suggestions and in true agile fashion you can take what works for you and leave what doesn't.

The resource you've found gives a few more good ideas on how to move forward, but some of their Structure-related content is a bit outdated. So if you would like to try Structure for your visualization needs, I'd be happy to go over the more salient features and discuss any implementation questions you may have.

As to your question about visibility for executives, we've noticed whatever fits in your existing workflow is usually best. If you work a lot in Confluence, then it would be best to have your reporting go through Confluence. If you prefer Gantt charts, you can create those and share them live or exported to emails. There are a large number of possibilities!

Hope that helps!

Phil

In looking at related content, I have found this helpful "how to" guide and we may give this a try!  Thank you!  

https://fschop.wordpress.com/2015/08/13/implementing-safe-with-jira-part-1/ 

Hi, 

others can probably give better advice regarding how to set up Jira, but if you like visualized plans and program boards, take a look at Dependency Map for Jira, which, among other things, can be used to show and manage the program board (yes, I work at FindOut who develops the  app).

Hello Nancy,

What you ask for is perfectly doable in BigPicture.

ad Does each train become their own project? 

Yes, you could map a BigPicture ART to a Jira project, but you could as well map that ART to some other query result, such as all Jira tasks whose id begins with 'ART-1' or ones that bear the 'ART-5' label, etc.

ad each project will have its own Program level backlog (Jira Epic/SAFe feature)?

Again there can be an ART-level backlog in BigPicture that doesn't necessarily correspond to a Jira project backlog.

ad How to give visibility to executives? Can each project provide summary at higher level?

For the visibility to executives, use the Overview module. See screen capture. Instead of PROG-1, PROG-2, PROG-3, imagine ART-1, ART-2, ART-3 - this is a sample view.

All the answers apply to BigPicture version 8. I represent the BP maker.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,664 views 22 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you