How to map issue status to next gen column

Mitch Kent March 29, 2019

Hi,

I have moved a bunch of issues from an old style project into a next gen project.

In advance of this, I had created a bunch of columns in the next gen project, each one relating to an existing status on the ticket. 

Now that I've moved the tickets, they all seem to have the same Issue Status they had before (i.e. the majority have a "Done" status, some are "In Progress", etc) but my next gen board is empty, and I can only see my tickets when selecting the backlog menu item which shows all of them there.

In the _old way_ I would assume that it is simply because I have not mapped status to column, but I can't see any way to do this. I believe I have full admin permissions but I realise that permissions have changed somewhat in next gen, so I may not be able to see what I need to do.

So - is there a board settings button somewhere to do this mapping that I can't see? Or am I missing a fundamental change in the old/new way?

Thanks.

Mitch.

2 answers

0 votes

It seems as though when I "moved" the tickets to a next gen project, despite the move workflow asking me to map statuses, no mapping was done. This was non-obvious to me as I had set up a 1:2:1 mapping between old workflow and new column setup.

I have renamed one of the old workflow statuses and this is what is displayed in the tickets, so obviously the tickets are still somehow tied to the old workflow.

With no configuration option visible for the new project, and no way to remap, it seems this is just a bug or a misunderstanding on my part, but not something I can fix.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2019

You don't map statuses, that happens automatically when you create a column. Basically in NG the relationship of status to column is 1:1. The column name is the status. If you create a column in the board it creates a new status. 

There are no board settings other than creating rules.

Hi Jack.

Thanks for your response - that was my expectation as well, however I have a whole bunch of tickets with statuses that aren't present in the respective columns.

At least I now have confidence that I'm not looking for something that isn't there.

So when I moved* a ticket from an old gen project to a new gen ticket, the process asked me which next-gen column/status I wanted it mapped to. I told it, and the ticket was moved. However it wasn't moved into the new column on the board, it remains in the backlog, which is why I'm confused and looking for explanations.

Thanks.

* moved as in ticket >> ... >> move >> to another project

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2019

correct. in hindsight, had you known to do so you could have first created a column for each status you wanted to retain. :-( So now the only thing you can do is to create the columns, find those that need to be moved and move them. Not a fun exercise if you have more than say 100 issues in the backlog to comb thru and try to recall what status it belongs in.

Sorry Jack, I wasn't clear - I _had_ created those columns in advance, and when the "move" ticket flow asked me to map to a new status, the options to map to were indeed the columns I had set up in advance.

And yes, I'm hoping not to have to move them manually, I have > 2000 tickets.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2019

so in your NG project you had all the columns you wanted before the move and you are saying the mapping failed to map them to the proper column? I have not even attempted this so I cannot speak from experience, only that would not be what I expected. You might reach out to Atlassian Support. Here is a link that speaks to migrating between the project types though unsure it will be helpful after the fact.

so in your NG project you had all the columns you wanted before the move and you are saying the mapping failed to map them to the proper column?

yes - though I have only just realised that it hasn't mapped them. I thought it had because the form asked me to and the new statuses had the same names.

Thanks for the migration link, I have seen it and it does suggest what I've done should work. I'll reach out to the support channel as well for help at this stage, though I think we're just going to move back to the old project for now anyway, due to missing release feature and other concerns.

Suggest an answer