Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to manage multiple sprints in parallel - Jira won't let me complete a sprint if one is active

I have a project with multiple workstreams - each workstream has a different dev team. They dev teams each have their own Scrum board and backlog.  Their sprints are on different schedules. Jira lets the team start multiple sprints in parallel, but when a team tries to close a sprint - Jira displays a message saying you cannot complete a sprint when another is active.

jira multiple sprint error.png

What is the best way to handle this - some workstreams have 2 week sprints, other have 3 week sprints - I don't think I will be able to align the timeframes.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Desiree,

Parallel sprints need to be enabled for the hole instance. Check out Atlassian's page on how to Use parallel sprints for Jira Cloud. Cheers!

Hi - parallel sprints are enabled - that is how I can assign sprints to the different workstream. However I cannot close a sprint for a workstream as other sprints are active. See error message in original text. Jira says you cannot complete a sprint when another is active.

I found the issue - I needed to select which sprint to close on the Active Sprints board - I didn't realize there was a drop down list to select a specific sprint.

Hi @Desiree Olivito, maybe you can help me because I can't find this option on my board. The button complete sprint is inactive. how can I do?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Do you use Jira Cloud with Microsoft Teams?

Hi, Jira users! Do you use Jira alongside Microsoft Teams? We want to hear how you’ve used the power of Jira Cloud and Microsoft Teams (via the Jira Cloud for Microsoft Teams app) to achieve a team...

163 views 1 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you