How to make open team to private in jira?

LAVANYA NANDAM September 22, 2022

Hi sir/mam,

I have created a team in jira it shows it is an open team anyone can join and edit the team but I need to make this as private. No one can join or edit without the approval. Could you please help me out how to change this to private. Hope I can get answer as early as possible.

Thank you!!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2022

Hello @LAVANYA NANDAM 

Welcome to the community.

Based on the current documentation, it appears that there is no way to make a team private.

https://support.atlassian.com/atlassian-account/docs/what-is-an-atlassian-team/

Perhaps that is a feature that is planned for the future.

LAVANYA NANDAM September 23, 2022

@Trudy Claspill  Thank you!!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2022

@Trudy Claspill , I was looking for the reference on the document you provided that discusses the open versus private topic here. I must be blind I'm just not seeing it. I do see the bit about not being able to see documents that I don't have access to already but that doesn't really address not being able to set a team private. Can you point me to a more direct statement? Ultimately, I hope and expect that this will become a developed feature at some point.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

@Jack Brickey 

I will make a note to be more specific next time. :)

I don't see anything on that page either, now. Maybe it was updated.

I swear I saw something at the time that indicated all Teams were currently Open and could not be made private.

In my Free instance and in the ACL Sandbox the teams I have created all say this

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 10.12.40 AM.png

And I can't find any option or documentation on how to make the team Private. 

According to this child page:

https://support.atlassian.com/atlassian-account/docs/start-an-atlassian-team/

All members of your team have the same permissions, so any member of the team can invite new team members or remove other team members.

If you have found info about how to make People > Teams private, please share!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

Agreed... very likely that it has been updated. In any event, I agree completely as well on the fact that this is not configurable at this point. I suspect that that will change in time otherwise why have the "open team " on the screen at all.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events