How to make a workflow active in Jira

Sari November 30, 2022

Hello! 

I can't make a workflow active  and the instructions reported are useless. 
Could you please help me? 
Thanks!

1.png2.png2a.png3.png4.png

2 answers

1 vote
Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2022

Hi Sari,

Are you looking to add an inactive workflow to your existing project's workflow scheme?

If yes, please try the following steps (I've also added screenshots for a dummy project I have for visual reference):

• Go into your desired project
  • Click "Project Settings" in the bottom left of your project's sidebar
  • Under project settings > click Workflows

You'll see this screen (as shown in the screenshot below). Click on "Add Workflow" > select "Add Existing"

image.png

From there you'll be select an inactive workflow on the left for your project:

image 2.png 

Once you've selected the workflow you would like to add > Click Next > and then Assign Issue Types to the selected workflow.

image.png 

Click Finish > and then hit Publish to save your changes. This will activate your workflow and associate it with the project's workflow scheme.

image 2.png

Best regards,
Hamza

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

The instructions are phrased to try to answer the question "how do I make a workflow active", but that question comes from a misunderstanding of what "active" means, so the docs are not actually that helpful.

You do not "activate a workflow".  The active flag is not something you set, it is a reporting function - when set, it is telling you that the workflow is in use in at least one active workflow scheme.  You can't set it directly, it's derived from the other settings.

To make a workflow look active, you have to associate it with at least one issue type (or the default) in a workflow scheme, and then migrate a project over to using that workflow scheme.

In your screenshot, tick at least one of the issue type (or default) boxes to start using your PPD workflow.  Save the changes.  Then you may need to go apply that scheme to a project.

Jira will walk you through the required migration steps when you save the changes (there may be none, it will only ask questions when you're changing between workflows where it can't retain the status of existing issues - for example, old workflow has a status of "doing" and the new one does not - you'll probably want to tell it to change all the "doing" issues to "in progress")

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events