How to make a jira task private?

larry jones April 14, 2023

I have a jira project that I dont want others to view yet.....how do I keep others from seeing it until its ready?

3 answers

0 votes
Andrew Ching April 14, 2023

As suggested, setting an issue security level and using permissions can help here - but this would be a policy that would need to be defined by the Sys Admin to setup.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-issue-security-schemes/

I am not a admin or superuser.......and this is a "story" I created. Does the suggestion/answer above still apply and need admin credentials?

Andrew Ching April 14, 2023

Basically to make an issue "private", the ability to have that feature needs to be configured by your admin.  If it's something people want to do often, it might be worthwhile making a case for it.

Unfortunately, there isn't a great deal else you can really do here I'm afraid.

Ok, Thank you.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2023

Hi @larry jones , you can remove permissions from any user except yourself.

Company manager project - Project Settings > Permissions and change Browse permissions 

Team managed project - Project settings > Access and ensure no other users are members/viewers

I am not a administrator. I just a user. Can I still do this?

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2023

Hi @larry jones 

Welcome to community!

You can keep the browse permission only to you till the project goes live.

Refer to https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/permissions-for-company-managed-projects/ to know more about the browse permission

I am not a administrator. I just a user. Can I still do this?

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2023

Ah.. Are you using company managed project or team managed project?

Are you a project admin? 

I am just a normal user and I created a project to track my time.

I created a Story that I want private.....I loosely called it a project. Sorry.

Somnath Patil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2023

Hi larry, 

As a user you cannot do this. You can request your Jira admin for this.

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2023

ah... ok.. 

For applying restrictions on a Jira issue, the jira admin has to configure the "Security scheme" for you. You can share https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-issue-security-schemes/ with your admin and ask them for assistance.

Suggest an answer