How to make Resolution field to default value when Status is updated

Vinay Poosa February 1, 2021

Hi Team,

When we reopen any closed or resolution provided or resolution accepted issues in JIRA, how can we force the system to update Resolution (system field), similar to how it is forcing to update while we update the issue status to resolution provided or resolution accepted or closed. Please see the attached screenshot highlighting the need. Kindly assist with this on priority. Let me know if you need any additional details. Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

whenever you reopen an issue you should clear the Resolution field. This can be done via a Post Function (Update Field Value) on any 'reopen' transitions.

Vinay Poosa February 1, 2021

Thanks @Jack Brickey appreciate it if you could please help me with the steps to do that. I'm new to JIRA.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

well i use cloud so it is a bit different but here you go...

Pre-requisite: you need to be an admin

1. go to Project settings in you project
  2. go to Workflows
  3. edit the workflow associated w/ you issuetype (in the event you have more than one workflow)
  4. in diagram mode select the transition out of your 'done' status (whatever it is called) and open click on Post functions
  5. in the post function screen add a post function
  6. select update issue field
  7. select the Resolution field and select clear field
  8. publish your workflow and test it out.

this will only impact any issues that go thru the 'reopen' transition. any issues that have previously been reopened will still have the Resolution set. For those you can use Bulk edit to clear...

1. create a jql - project = myproject and statuscategory != done and resolution is not empty
  2. use bulk edit to edit the Resolution field for all issues that were returned from the JQL
Vinay Poosa February 2, 2021

Thanks @Jack Brickey I was able to achieve what I needed from the above steps. Really appreciate your help.

Suggest an answer