How to make Linked Issues Required for Issue Type

Dale Thomas April 4, 2023

I am using the Procurement Template

I would like to create an Issue type of Renewal.  And when a user starts to create a new Renewal ticket, they are required to add a Linked Issue as a parent.  The goal is to easily see a Software purchase ticket and then all the Renewals for the ticket linked.  

That said, I can't find a way to do this from the Workflow Designer when adding a transition.  Or, at least, nothing appears to be the right thing.  

I have also tried the Linked Issue validator but can't seem to access any validators from the Designer.   

Would love any help people could give.  

Screenshot 4-4-2023 at 03.01 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2023

Hi @Dale Thomas 

If you are on a company managed project, then there are a couple of ways to achieve that. If you have JMWE then:

1. From your project, go to project settings and then workflows
  2. Edit the workflow which your issue type is associated with
  3. Click on Diagram
  4. Click on the create transition > validators
  5. Add a validator > Click on the Linked Issues Validator > Add
  6. Choose as field Linked Issues > Add
  7. Publish the workflow

If you don't have an app installed (JMWE), then you can make the field required within the field configuration of that specific issue type. If your issue types share a common field configuration, then you should create a new field configuration, associate it with your Renewal issue type and then make the field required on the new field configuration.

Let me know if that helps

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2023

But as I see now, you are working on CM projects. And to my knowledge you can't make linked issues required:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/customize-an-issues-fields-in-team-managed-projects/

Dale Thomas April 4, 2023

HI Alex, 

Thanks.  This particular project is team managed.  

The problem I am facing with making it required is I can't even access the field unless I am not using the correct name.  I have tried various forms of Linked.  And nothing pops up.   

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

Yes, I know. I would suggest that you consider moving to a Company Managed project where you have more control.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events