How to link the created story in a branch to an epic that was NOT the trigger issue

Richard Canlas January 7, 2022

The trigger issue is the creation of an issue type called Initiative. 

Upon creation of this issue type, I aim to create four epics and within each epic, four unique stories. Those stories must be a child issue of their respective epics. The problem I am having is I cannot find a way to link the story to the epic when it is under a branch. It is always linking back to the trigger issue (Initiative) or not at all.

I was able to successfully link the epic to the initiative with a JSON command as shown below:
{
"fields": {
"Parent link": "{{triggerissue.key}}"
}
}

Is there a similar command I can use to link these stories to their respective epics?

Alternatively, I am told I can use a lookup function that could switch context to possibly the epic. 

All help is appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2022

Hi @Richard Canlas 

Welcome to the Community!!

I expect this is how you want the issues to be created

One thing I have changed is to connect the feature Issue with linked issues relation

Here I have created one feature two epic & two stories

4.png

Here is the Rule for your reference

5.png

And for Story 

6.png

Let me know if you have any queries!!

Thanks,
Pramodh

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2022

FYI

You need to replicate the Create New Epic Sections and Create New Story 4 times in order to create Issues 4 times

Thanks,
Pramodh

Richard Canlas January 8, 2022

It worked!!!

Wait, when I try to create more epics and stories using the same rule pattern, it screws it up. @Pramodh M 

Here is what happens:

I added another epic and and story, and this happened:

Initiative created

Epic #1 created - Linked to inititative

Epic/Story#1 created - but NOT linked to Epic#1

Epic #2 created - Linked to initiative

Epic/Story#2 created - successfully linked to Epic#2

@Pramodh M 

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2022

Hi @Richard Canlas 

I checked it's working for 4 issues as well, you need to add the rule.

Here's the reference

A1.png

Now when creating the Epic Issue rule is like this

A3.png

And when creating a Story, first create a branching condition and then create an issueA4.png So the final rule should look like this

B1.png

B2.png

Thanks,
Pramodh

I realized what had happened and the Epic Link field disappeared from the first story for some reason when I was testing this, so I re-inserted it and voila! it worked. Thank you so much! I have another question related to automation but it's an entirely new idea that involves copying a field name from the trigger issue AND adding a new text into it in the same line, but I understand if I have to make a new community post for that. 

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2022

@Richard Canlas

Sure, Please accept the answer and go ahead with a new question on another thread!!

Glad Community is serving so many customers around the world!!

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2022

Hey @Richard Canlas 

Can you please check this thread if it helps you https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-can-I-create-a-story-with-an-epic-link-when-an-epic-is/qaq-p/434249

Also a part of logic I was able to achieve see if it is helpful:

In your case this all part should go in same branch.

Epic_Link_automation.png

Result:

Epic_Link_automation_result.png

Regards,

Vishwas

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders