How to link an issue to an epic in Jira CLI?

Steve Raslan August 17, 2022

When creating an issue using Bob Swift Jira CLI, I see no parameter that allows me to link the issue to an existing EPIC.

createIssue-Jira.png

How can I link an issue (upon creation) to an epic in Jira CLI?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2022

Hello @Steve Raslan 

Welcome to the community.

I have not used the CLI before, but have you tried using the parent parameter to specify the Epic to which you want to add the issue?

Steve Raslan August 18, 2022

Thank you Trudy for your help. That did work. I am new to Jira so that was very helpful. TAnd thanks for your welcome. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

Glad I could help.

Please mark my response as Answer Accepted to help other community members find the posts that include solutions.

0 votes
Jonathan Muse {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2022

Hello @Steve Raslan 

In Cloud the Epic Link is a custom field so you can just use the "field" parameter like this:

jira --action createIssue --project TP --issueType Story --summary "Test CLI" --field "Epic Link=TP-130"

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events