How to limit manage sprint permission only to board administrator

Matt DeWald August 14, 2018

Hello,

I have a single project with multiple scrum boards. I am trying to set it up so that board administrators have permissions to manage their own sprints, but not the sprints of other boards. So say Person A creates Sprint A on their scrum board and Person B creates Sprint B on their scrum board. I don't want Person B going to the scrum board for Person A's team and closing out the sprint prematurely.

Both Person A and Person B have manage sprint permissions (as they need to in order to start and stop sprints). Right now that gives them permission across the entire project and not just limited to their team.

Is there a solution to this?

2 answers

1 vote
Yves Nicodem March 25, 2024

As Sprints belong to boards, there is a workaround:
Create another Jira-project as a kind of helper and set the permissions according to the restrictions you prefer.

Include that project explicitly in the board filter from which you want to protect the Sprints.

Now only those can manage Sprints, which have the permission in  both projects, the one you are using and the "helper" one.

Meet Darji March 25, 2024

so accurate. it works perfectly as we desire.

Like Yves Nicodem likes this
1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2018

Hello @Matt DeWald

The Manage sprint permissions part of the project permission scheme, thus I completely understand your use-case but it depends on project's permissions for sprint management instead of just being the board administrator. 

Matt DeWald August 15, 2018

That's unfortunate. Is there no other alternative? Any add-ons that can be used? Hoping someone else has had this use-case and solved it in some way.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2018

Hello @Matt DeWald

The only way now I see is to have permission on workflow conditions, i.e. only users in certain project role or group should be able to move the issue from start to in progress and make sure the group contains your board admins but still other users with "manage sprint" permissions would be able to create sprint on the board but they won't be able to move the issues. 

Meet Darji May 4, 2023

I also need a solution for the same. kindly let me know if anyone found the solution.

Like Yves Nicodem likes this

Suggest an answer