How to limit creation of "Team-managed" projects to Private only

Tomasz Cholewa August 23, 2022

Is there any way to force creation of "Team-managed" projects to Private only on Jira Cloud?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Hi @Tomasz Cholewa and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately no.  I've found when I want guard rails around team-managed projects, the best approach is to lock down ability to create them:

1. Navigate to YOURINSTANCE.atlassian.net/secure/admin/GlobalPermissions!default.jspa
  2. Delete the Create Team-Managed Projects permission
  3. Re-add the Create Team-Managed Projects permission with the appropriate group(s) you wish to enable

Of course, this is assuming that users don't need to create team-managed projects that frequently as this could create unanticipated overhead on your Jira Admins.

The other option is to set up an automation that notifies you and/or other Jira admins every time a project is created so that you can do a quick spot check to ensure access was configured appropriately.  If you're familiar with the Jira API, you could get more complex with the rule and have it check for team vs company-managed and only notifies on team managed.

Tomasz Cholewa August 24, 2022

Thanks, we done this more-less your way earlier. Need to check Jira API. Thanks!

0 votes
Hope Man February 8, 2024

I actually managed to create an automation that sends me and the creator of the team-managed project a warning email only if a team-managed project with open access was created. It wasn't easy. Can't share as I'm not at work. Some templates seem to still create the project with open access, others were changed (I think).

If anyone is interested I can share next week.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

You cannot do this. If you allow the creation of TMP projects in your instance than anyone can create a project and they can control access themselves. 

Hope Man March 29, 2023

Well that's fine if you had the ability to make "private" the default setting, yet the default is "open", which is a big problem.

Close to a year later and it still a security issue, unless you can tell me how to do it.

Like Remi likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events