How to import the backup file from Jira Cloud to Jira Server if the instance (server) is installed

Sofia Grunspan January 20, 2021

Hi! I'm trying to migrate projects from one Jira Cloud instance to another using "Jira Cloud Migration Assistant" I understand that first I need a backup file, import it to one Jira server instance, then export it from server and import it to the new Jira Cloud instance. The problem is when I read the documentation is that the only way in which I can import that backup file to server is while I'm installing it.
There is another way in which I can import that file to the Server instance that is already installed? 3.JPG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2021

Hello Sofia,

Thank you for reaching out.

As you can see in this documentation, the Cloud migration assistant was built to migrate Jira Server to Jira Cloud environments, so it is not the best process to migrate Cloud to Cloud environments. Can you please provide us the reason you are using this process?

If there are no specific reasons you are using the migration assistant, I suggest using the import/export functionality directly, as described in the documentation below:

Export issues 

These would be the exact steps:

1. Choose  > System

2. In the IMPORT AND EXPORT section, click Backup manager.

3. Under Backup for cloud, select Create backup for cloud.

4. Then, we recommend splitting your cloud backup file into two separate files:
    1. A database file containing your activeobjects.xml and entities.xml
    2. A separate one for your attachments and other media. This can help avoid timeout errors and reduce the risk of issues when importing.
  5. Once you've split your backup into separate database and media files, follow the instructions on importing issues to import them to cloud. 
  6. After the import, log in to your new Jira Cloud site with the same admin account you used to log in to your original site. 

Let us know if this information helps.

Sofia Grunspan January 22, 2021

Hi Petter, thanks for your answer. I was trying to use Jira Cloud Migration Assistant because I need to migrate 4 cloud sites (instances) into 1 and I need to keep the sprints information.
Reading this document ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/merge-multiple-instances-of-jira-cloud-779160767.html ) I've found that the assistant let me keep that info. That's why I've tried to use this method.
But I've got another problem, in the server instance when I try to import the zip (backup from cloud) my server instance doesn't find the file. And I've placed it where it's supposed it must be. So I couldn't test or try any method yet.
Can you tell me why is that? Thanks

1.JPG2.JPG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events