How to import issues into Epics using CSV importer

Brandi Churchwell July 6, 2016

Hi,

How can I import issues that are linked to an Epic type issue using the CSV importer? I can successfully create an Epic type issue using the CSV importer but when I try to link an issue to it (by mapping the Epic Link field with the Epic Name of the epic), the importer creates the ticket but doesn't actually link it to the Epic.

Does something have to be enabled on the Admin side first to make this work?

Thanks,

Brandi

9 answers

3 votes
alicia.juste March 1, 2020

I'm also trying to import issues that are already assigned to a new EPIC, but without success, and I use the Jira next-gen, so I read that instead of using "Epic link" I have to use the "Parent" field.

Jeremy Whittington May 6, 2020

Same for me.

Marek Melzacki November 4, 2020

@Malik Mangier  I did it today and it is possible to import issues as Epics. You have to map it though in the `import system` as the last step.

@alicia.juste  It's suposed to be like this but it is not implemented yet as https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17758 says.

I did not found a `nice and easy` way to do it.

You can find partial workaround here:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-62251
Did not try it.

alicia.juste November 4, 2020

Thanks @Marek Melzacki

I just voted for that issue!

1 vote
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2016

Try using the Epic JIRA id as Epic link.

0 votes
Davis DiGregorio January 20, 2020

Any progress on this? Large gap in the functionality 

0 votes
Joshwa Marcalle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2019

Hi,

You need 3 things to make this work consistently:

1. Have an "Epic name" column on the CSV and have a name there for each Epic on this CSV
  2. Have an "epic link" column on your CSV for each standard type. Clearly the name you place there must correspond with an "Epic name" on the same CSV
  3. You need a column "ID" which is unique for each Epic, standard, subtask on the CSV

On import, relate the columns, especially: "ID" with "Issue id". Then it will work

Nicole Foxworth July 3, 2019

I followed these instructions, but wasn't successful. I think I'm a little confused by step number 3.

Where does the column ID come from? What does it mean that it's unique for each "Epic, standard, subtask"? I tried creating a column called ID and just filing in 1, 2, 3 as a test, but still wasn't successful.

Can someone provide clarity? Thank you!

Brad Whowell September 20, 2019

How can you have a column for issue ID if the task is not created yet? Do you need to hard code those issue ID's in there each time? That seems odd. 

Marek Melzacki November 4, 2020

@Brad Whowelland @Nicole Foxworth 

When you are creating and CSV file you have to assign an unique issue ID for each of the `issues` (all types). But this is just local assignment.

So if you have:
`Story 1, ID 1`
`Sub-Task 1, ID 2, Parent ID 1`
` Story 2, ID 3`
`Sub-Task 2, ID 4, Parent ID 3`
` Sub-Task 3, ID 5, Parent ID 3`

You will have 2 Stories with subtask, Story 1 has 1 task, and Story 2 has two tasks.
It's just an simplified example :)

And when you import the issues it will analyze your IDs but in JIRA it will be the next available ID. eg. myID-1 = TEST-234, myID-2 = TEST-235 etc.

Hope this helps

0 votes
Kristján Ævarsson September 2, 2016

This is known bug and being tracked here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-62251

0 votes
Brian Bargmann September 1, 2016

I am experiencing the exact same issue - any update or recommendations?

0 votes
Eric Wilson August 24, 2016

I'm having this problem as well. I've properly mapped the "Epic Link" column in my CSV to the "Epic Link" field in Jira, and I've tried it three different ways: using the epic's issue key, using the epic's issue id, and using the epic's name. None of these work properly.

When I use the issue key, the import completes successfully with no errors, but the link is still not made between the story and the epic.

When I use the issue id, the import completes, but errors happen, saying the epic cannot be found.

When I use the epic name, the import completes successfully with no errors, but the link is still not made between the story and the epic.

Can we get an update on this, please?

0 votes
Brandi Churchwell July 7, 2016

Yes, I am mapping to the Epic link field. According to the documentation I have found online, it should be working which is why I believe there might be something that is not set up correctly on the admin side, but I'm not sure what to tell my admin to do?

0 votes
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2016

This sounds correct.  Make sure you are using the Epic name and not the Summary of the epic to populate the "epic link" column.  

Are you mapping to the Epic Link column to Epic Link field?

Suggest an answer