How to import a workflow file?

Ed K August 13, 2020

If I export my workflow from one Jira cloud instance (I click "export" and download the workflow file), then how do I import it on another Jira cloud instance?  On the Workflow project settings, I only see an option to "Import from Marketplace" but I don't see any options to import from a file.

These are both paid Jira instances and both using the classic Jira project type.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2020

In Jira Cloud you can only import workflows that are hosted on Atlassian Marketplace. This KB describes what you need to do.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2020

Yep. So if you wanted to do it you would have to publish to the marketplace first. Way too much trouble IMO. I have to imagine recreating would be easier.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
zerina faib
Banned
August 13, 2020

is there other way to import workflow of Spotify type application to other sources? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

@zerina faib , Not sure I understand. You can only import workflows from the Marketplace in Cloud.

Ed K August 14, 2020

That seems like a really odd limitation, why only marketplace imports?

Recreating it is not a good option for me, My workflow is fairly complex.

Is it possible to put things in marketplace that are not publicly visible (restricted to specific organizations or users)?

Like carlos.marin likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Hi Ed, I don't have any firsthand experience with this but I found this article that might be of use. TBH, I can't imagine anyone would be interested in an individuals workflow. I also expect that you could remove once you are done w/ it or request it to be removed by Atlassian but unsure.

carlos.marin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2021

@Mikael Sandberg why is only possible to export workflows via Atlassian Marketplace?

Not all orgs want to have their workflows in the marketplace available to others.

is there not other way to import if you have the jwb file?

if you only have Marketplace option in Jira cloud to import workflows seems a backwards compared with Jira server

Thanks,

Like # people like this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2021

@carlos_marin - ENTELGY - your guess is as good as mine why Atlassian decided to do it this way. My guess would be that it was a security decision, I found this request JRACLOUD-32353 that indicate that that is the case. My guess is that this will change, there is now an experimental endpoint for workflow creation.

carlos.marin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2021

what do you mean with "experimental endpoint for workflow creation"?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events