How to hide groups form AD in Jira?

Tom April 4, 2022
Hello,
At first I apologize for my English.
I am a very beginner "administrator" of Jira. I have a group in AD to which I add users who are to have access to Jira. Everyone imports into Jira nicely, has permissions, and everything works. However, for each user in Jira, it shows me all the groups to which the user in AD belongs. How can I hide others groups from AD in Jira?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2022

Hi @ITWL ,

Welcome to the community. 

Go to Admin settings --> user management --> Click "Edit" on the User directory listed.
Note: You get option to edit only if you doesn't login using that user directory. Better to login using an internal user with admin access.

Modify the Group Schema Settings and add the required filter. 

Example: (&(objectCategory=Group)(!(cn=jira-service-users))(cn=jira-*))

This will list all users in jira-service-users group and users who have groups jira-*

Some related guides are mentioned in https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/how-to-write-ldap-search-filters-792496933.html and https://confluence.atlassian.com/crowd/restricting-ldap-scope-for-user-and-group-search-169118612.html

Tom April 4, 2022

Thank you for a quick answer.
After applying the Group Schema Settings filter (& (objectCategory = Group) (! Cn = grp_jira)) I get this error: "Test get user's memberships: Failed org.springframework.ldap.InvalidSearchFilterException: Unbalanced parenthesis; nested exception is javax.naming.directory.InvalidSearchFilterException: Unbalanced parenthesis; remaining name 'DC = *****, DC = ****' "and" Test get group members: Failed ". After removing this filter, the whole test is OK. I don't know what to do or where to look anymore ....

Edit: Sorry, it works, probably works, I'm still testing, but no more errors. Thank you very much!

0 votes
Ravi April 25, 2023

how to hide group in jira

Suggest an answer