How to hide children of epics that are on the backlog from displaying in the sprint backlog

KellyO April 28, 2023

Currently any issue open is displayed on my sprint backlog, If an Epic is on the backlog, I would like the children of that epic to be hidden from my sprint backlog. How can I do that?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2023

Hello @KellyO 

Since Stories (children of Epics) are the issues that should be getting assigned to sprints, they should be displayed in the Backlog. Generally Epics should not be assigned to sprints as they usually take longer to complete than the time frame of a sprint.

Can you provide more information about your use case where you have Epics in the backlog and don't want to have their child issues in the backlog, for a Scrum board where sprints are managed? What problem are you trying to solve with this.

KellyO April 28, 2023

Hello Trudy!

So, I have Epic that are in the backlog for my "Epic Kanban" board. Some of the epics that are on my epic backlog have issues (stories, tasks, bugs) that are associated to these epics that are on the backlog. Via my Sprint Board, when I look at the Sprint Backlog I want to be able to hide any issues that are children of an epic that is not in-progress. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2023

Thank you for that clarification.

That requires a level of complexity that is not supported natively for Jira, as it requires filtering first for Epics that are not in progress, and then getting all the child issues for those Epics. Native Jira JQL can't support that.

Are you willing to get, or do you already have, third party apps that extend the JQL capabilities?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events