How to hide a subtask until previous task is complete?

Paul J Simpson January 10, 2017

Hi,

I have a series of tasks that need to follow a sequence that involves different engineers. I assume that to do this, I need to use sub-tasks?

What I want to do is to prevent an engineer from seeing their assigned subtask until the previous subtask in the sequence is complete. I can do it by writing plugins to manage it all through the API, but I figured there would probably be a built-in way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

1 answer

0 votes
Betsy Walker {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2017

This is a really common Use Case that the Create on Transition add-on addresses.

It adds 2 post functions — Create Issue and Create Subtask – to create either an issue or a sub-task, respectively, and you can set a condition that the current issue must be in a particular status (or that all existing subtasks must be completed).  You would add this to the transition that marks the subtask as Completed. This results in the new subtask not existing until that condition is met, effectively “hiding” it until needed.

Paul J Simpson January 10, 2017

Thank you for the rapid response!

Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, it isn't available for JIRA cloud:-(

Suggest an answer