How to have assignee field left empty in cloned issue using JIRA automation?

SHEHZADALI ISMAILY March 30, 2023

How do I create an automation rule that when an issue is cloned, the assignee field is left empty in the cloned issue?

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

Hi @SHEHZADALI ISMAILY - In your Clone Issue action, you just need to add Assignee and set it to Unassigned.

@Mark Segall I appreciate the response. The use case that my team is trying to solve for is as follows:

An issue is assigned to a team member, and instead of manually having to change the assignee to unassigned before cloning, they would like for the assignee field to automatically default to unassigned when any issue is cloned.

That is why I was looking at JIRA automation to accomplish this.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

Yes, that was my comment on the previous response.  Your rule would look something like this:

2023-03-30_08-18-58.png

NOTE - If you're looking for a solution where the user is leveraging the native clone functionality, you'd need to change the trigger to "Issue Created" with a condition that the issue has link "Clones".  In this scenario, you would use the Edit Issue action and set the assignee to Unassigned similarly to the image.

@Mark Segall I tried this setup and its still copying over the assignee.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2023

Can you please share a screenshot of your configuration?

Sure @Mark Segall thank you for your help.

unassignedclone.JPG

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2023

Hmm... That looks correct.

Perhaps there's something else setting the assignee automatically.  You could try this to circumvent that:

• TRIGGER: Manual
  • ACTION: Clone Issue
  • BRANCH (Recently Created Issues)
    • ACTION: Edit Issue (Assignee)
      • Set to Unassigned

This would attempt to clone the issue and then after the issue is created go back in and set the assignee to unassigned.

If this works, it's most likely that something is overriding the assignment. Here are a couple culprits for why Unassigned is not set on creation:

1. There's a post function on the Create transition of the workflow that is hard-setting the assignee
  2. The project is configured so that any new issues are auto-assigned

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events