How to go from a "1 project = 1 customer" organization to "1 project = 1 shared product"

Brice December 12, 2022
Hello,

I am currently looking for a new project structure template in Jira Software.

My company produces an IT solution.

Currently, we are creating one project per client, our model is as follows:

1. A client A asks us to develop a product.
We create a project, we add 1 epics per feature and then we detail the work to the developers in the stories. At the end of the project we have a product increment (V1).
2. A client B asks us to develop the same product but with specificities. We create a project based on the product of client A and then we add the specifics for this client. We therefore deliver our product in (V2) to this client.
3. For client C, we create a new project, start again with the latest release of the product delivered to client B for client C. This results in the delivery of a V3.
5. And so on.

What we want now is to have a single project (the product) for all of our customers.

This project should allow us to follow the developments of the specificities of new customers and to follow the deployment of product improvements. That is to say to upgrade the version of Client A (which is in V1) to V3.

Can you advise me on an organization model in JIRA please?

Best regards

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2022

Hi @Brice 

Good question.

There could be multiple ways to achieve this but let me try to answer based on the information you provided.

1. You can have one Jira project for your main product with multiple releases - v1, v2, v3 and so on
  2. Create client specific projects to plan, track the work that you do to deploy a specific version of your product for your client. 
  3. You product project and client projects versions (affect and fix version) should have same nomenclature or synced manually or use some automation.
  4. Do you product development in its own project and only capture client specific work in client project for future versions.
  5. If you client raises issues/bug then have a separate project for that - may be JSM but your product versions should be available in that project as well.

Again this very high level and may or may not work but since you have same project across multiple project I am more inclined towards using a separate project for your product development (even though your client's feedback is used to improve it or add more features to it).

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events