How to get all the transitions properties Jira rest api

erika_zanoni February 3, 2021

HI,

There is a way to get all the transitions properties with a Jira rest api?

I didn't found anything in the documentation.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021
Chiara Spadavecchia February 4, 2021

If I know only the Issue Key? How It is possible to know all the possible transitions with properties?

<base_url>/issue/<issue_key>/transitions........................ 

How can I get also the properties?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

If you have the issue key, then you can use that to get the project and issue type, then use the calls in that doc to workout which workflow it is, then fetch the properties of the transition from that.

However, I question why that information is of any use for you at an issue level.  What are you using it for?

Can I obtain the transitions properties starting by Issue Key using only one API call? Only one.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2021

Please, read the comments again.

You can't do issue -> transition properties in one go because it is utterly useless, and hence not worth coding for.

Could you please explain what you are actually trying to do?  Of what possible use is the call you are asking for?

I would like to use the transitions properties to map Jira status with the status of the external system. It’s a task of integration. Integration with another system. The external system would like to do ONE api call: all possible transitions WITH properties starting by issue key. One call.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2021

Thanks for the explanation, but it raises more questions and suggests more problems than I expected.  The core of this is probably

"use the transitions properties to map Jira status with the status of the external system"

This makes no sense to me.

A transition in Jira is not a status.  It is a link between steps (status) in a workflow.  The properties of a transition have no relationship to status.

If you are trying to map Jira-Status to External-Status, why are you looking at transitions?  Why are you not looking at the Jira Status?

Chiara Spadavecchia February 5, 2021

I’m looking for transitions because I can use 1 API call that retrieves all the possible transitions starting by the issue key. 1 API call. One. Into that API call I can map the status of the external system to jira transition(link). It is a workaround. Do you know another way to reach the goal? The goal for the external system is the following one: starting by the issue key and its target status GET the transition ID to be used for the issue status change in ONE call. The external system wants to read in the response of a single api call the transition ID and the reference to ITS status. ITS status = the status into the external system. For example into the external system the status is called “annullato” and into Jira the status is called “annullato2”. Do you have other ideas? It is a workaround for the integration between the two systems. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2021

Most of that wall of text makes no sense to me.

The one bit that does make sense right is that you want to have a 1:1 relationship between a Jira issue's status and your external system's item's status.

The mapping between Jira-Status and External-Status should be 1:1 and I really cannot discern why you are looking at transistions to do that, let alone transition properties.

My "workaround" for this is for you to tell your external system that "status X in Jira means status Y for you".

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events