How to get System Administrator

Juergen Holzer July 9, 2021

Hello all!
I started testing Jira Service Management last week and changed the Administratorusers.

Somehow it seems I've lost my System Administrator. I have to site-admins but none of them can manage the Jira System Administrators.

In addition none of them can change the Outgoing Mail Server, which seems to be the reason why I don't receive notification Mails.

A lot of questions, but where do I start?

Thank you very much!
Sincerely Yours

Jürgen

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2021

Hi,

The System Administrator role is unavailable in Cloud, but as a site-admin you should be able to administer the needed settings.

Notifications mails can be missing for multiple reasons. Under your profiles "Personal settings" there is a section "Get email updates for issue activity when:" 

What notifications are you expecting?
If you describe a scenario it might be easier to track down.

Thank you for the explanation!
First of all I'm missing notifications for new Issues/Incidents created by a customer within the organization.

Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2021

There are no standard notifications for that, so that needs to be created.

Project Settings -> Notifications
Either edit the Default Notification Scheme, or create a new one. No matter the decision you make, what you're looking for is to add notifications for "Issue Created" and decide whether you want to send to a single user, project role or user group.

If you also have access to Slack, you can set that up and get notifications in slack channels rather than email (from my experience, more appreciated by users)

this is a good hint!
So next question is how do I modify the "all watchers" group and how do I become a watcher for a project?

Thank you!

Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2021

Watchers is not a group, it's an per issue feature. There is no standard feature as far as I know that automatically add you as a watcher.

You can be come a watcher if someone mentions you, or automatically if you interact with an issue. Once again under your profiles "personal settings" you have "Watch your issues" where you can choose to have "enabled" to become a watcher on all issues you work on.

If the desired outcome is to just get notifications on newly created issues, you can achieve it by a multitude of options. If you decide that only you want the notifications, and you're the project lead you can add that into a notification scheme.
If you want all of your agents working in that particular project you can use the project role "Service Desk Team"
You can also create custom "Project roles" that you use as notification recipients for certain users.

Worth mentioning, try not to add too many notifications. I've got personal experience where my users decided that Jira is too chatty and filtered out all emails into their spam folder.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

"all watchers" is not a group, it's a dynamic "role", like "assignee" or "reporter".  It refers to the list of people named as a watcher on the issue.

To "modify the group", you will have to edit the watchers on each issue.

There are no watchers on projects, it is just issues you watch.

Suggest an answer