It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to generate Burndown, Burnup, Velocity report in Kanban Project Edited

Our Dev is managed through Jira project which was created as Kanban project.

We'd benefit JIra Agile Project Management features, and we need a way to show Sprint Burndown or Sprint Burnup, Release Burndown, Velocity Charts to report status.

However, it's really frustrated to find out NO WAY. From Jira docs: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/reporting-939938675.html. It seems all above reports can only be provided if the project is defined as Scrum Project.  There are only two Agile reports provided for Kanban Project, and they're not what we're looking forward to.

We have a lot of data existed in the existed Kanban project, we don't want to migrate these into Scrum project. Does anybody know the alternative way how to show or even customize the existed Kanban project to show these common Agile reports:

Sprint Burndown or Sprint Burnup, Release Burndown, Velocity Charts

Thank you! I'm looking forward to best practices sharing from you!

1 answer

0 votes

You don't.

There's a big clue in the names of two of those four reports - they say "sprint".  Kanban does not have sprints, and you need the time-boxing in order to generate them.

You can get Kanban progress and completion reports, but Kanban simply doesn't have the data structure you need to generate Scrum reports, because it's not Scrum.

Hi Nic, thanks for your reply. See my more information below:

Actually we're using Version concept in Kanban. We have 2 weeks in each sprint, and end of each sprint we will deliver the new release. Version feature in Kanban provides us the similar "sprint" feature.
So we have Version to match with time-boxing, and which has been defined clearly with sprint start & end date.
For Agile projects, we need to use the status statistics & prediction feature no matter we're using Kanban or Scrum. Burndown, Burnon, Velocity, Sprint/release burndown charts are common requirements.  Hope Jira can provide similar features. If no existed feature for Kanban now, is there any alternative way based on customization or 3rd party plug-in? Thanks.

So you've dumped Kanban and moved towards Scrum.

"Version concept" in Kanban looks like a variation, but it's not really, it's a bastardisation and something that you should move away from.  Do you want to do Scrum, Kanban or Scrumban?

To me, it sounds like you're pretty much doing Scrum.  I'd recommend you swap your board over to scrum.

Nic, we have a lot existed data in the Kanban based project. How can users to migration from Kanban to Scrum without breaking down the data structure? We also continue to use Kanban Board as well besides these reports.  Pls advise. Thanks.

Create a new board and give it a filter that includes your project.  Boards are a view of issues, not a container, and you can  have many boards looking at the same data.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

1,881 views 10 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you