How to fix warnings after JIRA Upgrade to 7.9.2

Jeannine Gentleman June 6, 2018

How to fix warnings after JIRA Upgrade from version 7.5.0 to version 7.9.2.

1. Database: Supported database;

Postgres 8.4.11 is not supported and need to migrate to supported database version.

2. Database: Your database is using unsupported collation

Your postgres72 database is currently using an unsupported collation: en_US.UTF-8.

change to POSIX_UTF-8,  C.UTF-8,  C or  POSIX

3 answers

2 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2018

@Jeannine Gentleman, yes... you definitely want to update your database. PostgreSQL 8 is pretty old. Since you've gotten to Jira 7.9.2, you'll probably want to go all the way to 9.6.x so you won't have to go through this for a while.

The unsupported collation is also a bit of a Big Deal; for the most part (from what I gather) things work well until they... don't... and then it usually ends in tears.

Also, when migrating, I'd suggest that you dump your database but do NOT add the "drop database" and "create database" options to the dump. Rather:

1. Create the empty database with correct collations
  2. Restore into the new empty database

For reference the SQL statements I use routinely when creating the database are:

CREATE ROLE jira;
ALTER ROLE jira LOGIN;
ALTER ROLE jira PASSWORD 'jira';
GRANT jira TO postgres;
CREATE DATABASE jira WITH ENCODING 'UTF8' LC_COLLATE='C' LC_CTYPE='C' TEMPLATE=template0 OWNER jira;
GRANT ALL ON DATABASE jira TO jira;

Note: the "GRANT jira to postgres" is an AWS RDS thingy; it won't hurt on a local DB but when doing all these steps as user "postgres" on RDS, it fails without that step. If you're running a local instance of PostgreSQL you don't need that step

Also, while they don't "officially" support them, I do take the time to load the latest JDBC drivers from PostgreSQL as I have found some significant performance improvements there.

0 votes
Jeannine Gentleman June 8, 2018

1st warning is fixed by upgrading our PostgreSQL driver to the latest version;  downloaded  postgresql-9.4-1206-jdbc41.jar from https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html

2nd warning is being worked on "unsupported collation: en_US.UTF-8"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/connecting-jira-applications-to-postgresql-861253040.html?_ga=2.144771133.862239762.1528201649-489755544.1476887944#ConnectingJIRAtoPostgreSQL-1.CreateandconfigurethePostgreSQLdatabase

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2018

You could try and upgrade your PostgreSQL driver to the latest version and see if that does it, if not then you would have to upgrade to a supported version, see Supported platforms.

Suggest an answer