Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to find the sum of all issue types within a structure board?

Hi Everyone, I am looking for help in regards to adding up all issue types tied to epics as well as programs 

For example:

Program ABC has 4 separate jira epics linked with various amounts of issue types tied to the corresponding jira epic.  My manager would like to see the total number of issues tied that epic, total number of issues still OPEN or IN PROGRESS, and total issues closed. 

He does not want to SUM story points or use that data.  This is simply summing all issues tied to epics. 

Can anyone help me with the formula?  EXPR language formula examples doesnt give anything for this because I know its a little unique of a request. Ideally we would use story points but just asking for some guidance here.  thank you! 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello @Sydney Airey ,

David from ALM Works here.  

It sounds like you have a Structure hierarchy of Program > Epic > Story/Task and that you are looking to SUM the count of Open Story/Tasks at the Epic and then Program levels. 

We would also want to SUM the count of Closed Story/Task at the Epic and then Program levels in a separate column.  Is this correct?

If I do have it right, could you please share the issue types you use at the Story/Task level of the hierarchy?  

Looking forward to your response.

Best,
David

Hi David!  Thank you for your response.  YES this is correct.  We actual refer to our programs as "functional Epics" but other than that, this is exactly what I am looking for.  The issue types we currently have listed in our structure are: 

• Story
  • Task
  • Bug 
  • Improvement 
  • New Feature

thank you! 

Hello @Sydney Airey ,

Thank you for the additional information!  We should be able to accomplish your goal with the formula below and choosing the Sum over sub-items option:

IF(
JQL{issuetype in (story,task,bug,improvement,newfeature)
AND Status != Closed};1)

Essentially it assigns a 1 to each of the issue types defined, that are not closed.  The Sum over sub-items option will then just count up how many 1s there are.

You may need to adjust the JQL portion to match the correct status(es) and/or issue types.  Additionally, you can create the "Closed" calculation by simply changing the != "closed" to = "closed" (or whatever status(es) indicate "closed").

Please let me know if this helps!

Best,
David

Thank you so much!  This worked!! 

Like David Niro _ALM Works_ likes this
0 votes
Bloompeak Support Marketplace Partner Jun 15, 2022

Hi @Sydney Airey ,

You can try Reports - Charts and Graphs for Jira app developed by our team to create table showing number of issues per epic and status as in the below screenshot.

number of issues by epic and status.png

You need to write your own JQL that lists issues under a specific program. Since program is not a default Jira issue type, I can not provide the exact jql for it. But maybe you already know how to write it.

Below you can see an article about creating custom reports, charts and graphs in Jira with our app.

How to Create Custom and Flexible Reports, Charts and Graphs in Jira

Here is our live demo dashboard where you can see and modify sample reports and play with them.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

219 views 2 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you